What should we do with the old family PC now that we all use laptops?

Parijat Mishra April 18, 2013

Recently, I realised that the PC in our home hasn’t been used at all for the last few months. This is obviously because all of us (me, my parents and my brother) have personal laptops which we use for everything (work, college stuff and content consumption too). My mom occasionally used the PC because she felt uncomfortable with the small keyboard on her netbook, but she has gotten used to it by now.

Our old PC isn’t “old” at all. It has a 1GB nVidia GeForce graphics card, 2GB RAM and a 2.2 Ghz Core 2 Duo Processor. But sadly, our laptops have better specs, so no one feels like using this non-portable alternative. Also, it runs Windows Vista…

So what should we do with this? Any suggestions?

1. Md Mukhtar Mohsin

You can do many things-
    1-turn it into a web server if you want to host a website to impress your friends.
    2-use it for backing up all data of all the laptops in house .
    3- be a good boy and donate it to someone who does not have a pc.
    4-connect a high speed broadband and turn it into wi-fi hotspot for all laptops.

It depends on you, just use it productively.

2. Arif Ibrahim

Install Linux, learn Linux, and also make it into a home server
    You could store all your media files there and access all your files, from all devices connected to your home router
    Invest a 2TB HDD into that PC and you're all set :D

3. babu vhora

You can use your monitor as a tv.............

4. Garey B

One of the things that I like to do with unused electronics (especially if I can't find a way to re purpose them) is donate it to someone who might not be able to afford one believe me it's one of the best feelings you'll ever have. I've donated computers and video game consoles good places to look are on craigslist and freecycle also word of mouth works well too.

5. Justin Pot

Hook it up to your TV, install XBMC, then stop paying for cable. It's what I did and I've never looked back. I even wrote a manual:

http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/xbmc-full-html

Just an idea.

6. Harshit J
    • Parijat Mishra

I did google it before asking it here.. Just looking for your opinions..

• Harshit J

Please don't mind. I had got irritated with some people who never ever searched on Google first what they want. Good to see you are not one of them.:-)

You could use it as a media centre as well as a file server/backup server, either with Windows (Vista or later) or with Linux (in which case XBMC would seem particularly appropriate). Alternatively, give it to someone less fortunate that you. There are plenty of charities and schools that I am sure would be delighted to have such a good machine.

8. Chris Marcoe

You could make it into a media center. Or you could use it as a NAS.. I'm building a new computer right now and I'll be doing one of those 2 things wit the old one.

9. dragonmouth

As others have suggested, you can use the PC as a server. I would seriously consider Bruce's suggestion of a backup server. It is the most obvious use for that PC.

As for Vista, that is the least of your worries. There are hundreds of Linux and BSD distributions that you can replace Vista with. Some, like ReDo Backup, are specifically dedicated to making backups over a network. And we all know that we should do regular backups of our PCs. Right?

Besides as a central storage for all devices,you can also use it for some gaming purpose,testing other OS and testing softwares that you wouldn't be comfortable with it at first using it in laptops.

you can installLInux to Learn new OS, use it to stream Media to Big Monitor

How To Set Up Your XBMC Media Center

you can use for many things, may be for as a media server or a home server or a storage. there might be more possibilities.

You could turn it into a file server or, better yet, a backup server where you can store backup images of your laptops as well as backups of your data files from the other machines. You may need to add more storage to it for either of these purposes but it would provide a convenient way to restore a laptop and the most current versions of its data files when needed.