What programming language should I learn first to start coding for an iPhone or iPad?

Simpli Apple March 3, 2013

I’m thinking of learning to code. I want to code for iOS (meaning at some point I need to learn objective C).

But I’m wondering if I should learn another language first. There is a site called codecademy.com which has user interactive courses for free. They have a HTML/CSS course, JavaScript course and Python course etc. Whichone of these would be best to learn to lead myself up to becoming an iOS coder?

1. Francisco de Gusmao

maybe learn a little with some easy languages (java, c# or python), since there are loooots of resources for them, and then move on to objective C, when you feel confident. Be warned, it is very difficult to learn a new language of this level if you never coded before. if that is the case, you will need lots and lots of practice a good book just to learn one of the suggested.

2. Imesh Chandrasiri

Start with C programming : this will let you understand programming concepts and stuff and then move to C++. C++ is more object oriented and some what more advance than C.

3. Yash Desai

C++ is probably your best bet

4. Nitesh Badala

Apple Inc. completely works on Objective C. Apps for iOS and mac is completely in c. so you should learn C from basic.

5. Ron Lister

I sugest learning C first it will give you a firm grasp on the other c based languages and java, also learning object oriented programming might help you out.

Heres another site for you. They offer video tutorials "WiBit.net" its free on the pc and they were entertaining as well. They also have downloads available from the apstore and android if you like to learn on the go.

good luck and have fun.

6. Ron Lister

If you start with C then you will have a better grasp on most C based languages and java

I'm suggest starting with C then learn object oriented programing from there you can learn any other language alot easier at least the ones that are rooted in C and java as well

check out Wibit.net for some free video tutorials there also have them available for download at the apstore and for android. If you want to learn on the go.

7. Abdallah

C++ is the best. I started a few months ago learning c++ because it's the base of most programming languages and it's easy to learn

8. Gregori Gualdron

I've seen most languages have similar things, so I think you should go straight to C, since learning another (like python) would be learning something similar. So go straight to the one that follows your objective.

• pijush

just close your eyes and start with C language// trust me i know it!

9. Félix De Jesús

In my case, I recommend you to learn Visual Basic at least, and then C++ or Java... Why that languages and not C++ or Java first? Because, with that language, you can learn fast, and have an habit. Most of the Words from Visual Basic are for me, very familiar to other languages, so you can't get so confused, and learn fast. In my personal case, I Was a University Student, in MIS, and the first language that I learned and then others, to be a prerequisite, was VB. Then I learned the others languages faster. (I don't know if my words are useful to you) Good Luck!!

Which Programming Language Should You Learn For Software Development?
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/programming-language-learn-software-development/

How To Develop A Simple iPhone App & Submit It To iTunes
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/develop-simple-iphone-app-submit-itunes/

11. prashanth singh rathore

c , java

12. Tanveer Ahmed
  13. Dhaval Patel

i think c or c++ will be good...

• Carlos Chi

c++ would be better...

• Muo TechGuy

Sorry, did you even think about the links you just posted? One of them is videos of Monty Python. I don't think you're actually putting any thought into your answers at all Nikhil.

The answer lies in your question itself.Everyone who wants to study high level language has to start with a good base and that is C language.If you are well versed with it,then it'll be helpful to you to learn other languages too.

you can try to start with C but if you want to start with something different than C then I suggest you to start with python.

Ideally, you should start with Objective C. Granted, all programming languages have similarities, but they also have their differences. Why would you want to learn something that is not providing the most direct path to your ultimate objective? That is like taking a road trip from Miami to New York via San Francisco.