What plugin or script did you use to make the MakeUseOf Answers section?

Anil indian April 22, 2012

Can you tell me what plugin or script did you use for building this Question and Answers site?

1. Anil indian

I am familiar with oAuth and other SSO plugins

What I like at MakeUseof.com 's answers site are 1) Voting 2) Displaying Points on side panel and 3) click here to mark this question as resolved

1) Many voting plugins at WP repository are not much suitable for Question and answering sites. The two top plugins in that area are more resource usable ones

2) Cube Points can be used but would like to know if a simple code like this site usable is available

It's a custom system, with the logins sitewide handled by Gigya. The actual question stuff is a combination of wordpress custom fields, and custom theme templates. There's a lot more I could do with it, but then there always is.

We did try a few different standalone scripts or plugins, but not met our full expectations. If you're looking for a comprehensive out of the box plugin/theme, try this one: http://www.elegantthemes.com/gallery/askit/

3. Carpenter__RichardCarpenter

It my not be my place, as I am just a commenter on this site and not actually a member of the staff of MakeUseOf, but I am putting my two cents in anyhow :)

The core of MakeUseOf Answers is the DisQus Comment System plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/disqus-comment-system/) How your question was created, and how I am posting now. It is very great for tracking questions like this, it isn't perfect but what is :)

For the socail media, they use Gigya. That is the facebook, twitter, etc. login. I really like the way it is set up as a game, making you want to share as much as possible. It is also used for the Recent Activity section.

MakeUseOf (and MakeUseOf  Answers) are  a painfully great looking site, and just as functional, and a lot of hard work went into it. Are you planning on build a Question and Answer Site like this, I will say that it is hard to start a site like this, and has to have a good bit of backing. Do you already have a site in place or you wanting to start a site like this?

Few hours later and we switched from Disqus to native WordPress commenting. Sorry Richard! :)

• Richard Carpenter

Yeah, I noticed it a bout a hour ago commenting on another question. You can't get much better timing :)