What makes you feel like you’re tinkering with ‘the next big thing’ computer and gadget wise?

Joseph Videtto December 8, 2012

What computer apps, gadgets, or web services are you using today that you feel will go viral and huge, for example as Amazon and iTunes did?

I’m in my late 40’s, and looking back, I was one of the earlier users of computers and technologies that eventually grew bigger and bigger – and I felt ‘cool’, or should I say it was fun, to share my early knowledge and enthusiasm for these things with friends and family.

For example, I was an early user on Amazon.com, and thought I had discovered something really cool that not many people knew about yet – they either were ignorant of its existence, or afraid to user their credit cards over the internet. Now, Amazon is ‘old hat’. Same thing for Excel macros – I was using them when few of my friends and family were, and it was fun to help them discover some really useful ways to use these things. Same thing for iTunes – the concept of storing songs in a music database, and how to ‘move the library’ was really confusing to people without some programming background. The 2TB and 3TB drives were another thing I got into before they went mainstream, and it was obvious they would eventually be commonplace.

Now, MakeUseOf helps me discover the new cool stuff, and thanks for that. But – it’s almost overwhelming; apps are a dime a dozen on the Apps store, as well as free internet services and Windows programs. Many of these will surely fizzle out before they catch on – or be swallowed by competitors ? In fact – I bookmark way more cool sounding stuff and never really make the time to delve in and discover for myself whether I think these are the next big thing. Most of my needs are met by the current big conglomerates.

1. Roomy Naqvy

Google Drive. Anything in Cloud. But I would always rate Google higher. And also Google excellent spam controls.

2. Daniel

I think it's the Leap by @Leapmotion!!

3. Vishal Srivastava

Windows 8
    Connectify
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    Open Office
    ...

4. Tim Brookes

Digital publishing. I think there's a lot of undiscovered potential here, and it's up to companies like Adobe and Quark to really put the tools in place to revolutionise the way we approach "old media" formats like the magazine and newspaper.

The Internet will always be a big messy web of news and views, begging for your attention. Thus far the attempts at creating a "coffee table-friendly" format for the consumption of all this media haven't been hugely successful, but they will be at some point.

5. dragonmouth

The last time i felt the WOW! was when I got and started using my Apple II+.

Now matter how bleeding edge an application or technology is today, by tomorrow it is going to be "old hat" and by the day after it is going to be obsolete.

Big sized phones,cloud computing,Gbps speed internet,4G,big television(smart,4K or 8K with 150 inches or more) I expect will become common after some time and will change much of our lifestyle.

7. Giggity Goebbels

Windows 8

There are many apps and systems. sometimes a new feature in an existing system or an update can make me feel like that.

• Joseph Videtto

What was the last feature or update - and in what software, that made you feel like that ? Please share - it might do the same for me or another reader !

• Junil Maharjan

some of the updates in google now and the update to jelly bean etc.

• Junil Maharjan

and one more is windows 8

• Hunbuhbhuygb Ygygbgybygb

Lol windows 8

9. Paul Pruitt

* Google Drive
    * TeamViewer
    * Connectify
    * Free Editor
    * Microsoft Security Essentials :-)
    * Tableau Public 7.0