What Linux is best for a user trying to learn?
Question by JoshS /

I’ve been using Windows for a long time and I’ve heard that Linux is a very good operating system. Although not user friendly, I could benefit from having knowledge about it, seeming how a lot of my friends and family have Linux. My question is, what Linux should I use if I want to learn.

• Jeffrey Wilson

Zorin is the best by far it is model after ubuntu l love it go zorin web page and download
    the live cd. If you install it open up a web browser paste this link in it follow the instructions http://www.techdrivein.com/2012/06/25-things-i-did-after-installing-ubuntu.html

• dragonmouth

“if I want to learn.”

What exactly do you mean by “learn”?
    Ubuntu and Mint will allow you to run Linux O/S and programs, but they will not teach you about administering the system. To properly learn how to administer the system you need command language and for that you need a distro that allows a “root” signon, such as antiX or Siduction or even Debian.

You say that a lot of friends and family have Linux. What distro do they recommend? Did you ask them?

• Jandré Roux

Everybody will suggest Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

I started out with OpenSuse, and got it figured out. You need a working www connection, then you go to the forum ask your quesitons and they will help you That is how I did it.

Come on! Take a big step!

• Donald Schultz

I’m new to Linux myself and I am also a tech at a college and still taking classes too. I can tell you that my experience with Ubuntu has been awesome, I love it. I don’t have an antivirus on my Linux box but I have spybot antivirus scanner and when I run that it never finds anything except tool bars. Now that I have been using it for about a year now I think that Ubuntu is the best one to learn, if you don’t know how to do something Google it and you shall find. Once you play with it for about six months things will become natural and it will seem very simple to operate. Wish you luck my friend and you will love Linux trust me.

• Jacob

Try Linux MInt.Its user friendly.And when you have mastered it, switch to Ubuntu.Ubuntu is one of the most popular general-use distributions with one of the largest selections of software.So even if something goes wrong you will not be the first one to experience it.

• dragonmouth

For all those recommending Ubuntu, you are forgetting that it now comes with Unity desktop which could be confusing and frustrating to someone trying to learn Linux.

Fedora has its own issues and could also be a bit confusing to a newbie.

When making recommendations to somebody unfamiliar with Linux put yourself in his/her place and remember how it was when you first started with Linux. Fedora and Ubuntu may be great distros for those already using Linux but for newbie they may present problems.

I would recommend Linux Mint or Zorin OS 6.1 as they are the closest to Windows in appearance. They can be downloaded from the DistroWatch site. I use Simply MEPIS which is also quite user-friendly.

• Scott Reyes

I would stick with linux mint …. im currently using ubuntu and t just seems to have too many deterents as far as bloaty applications *cough ubuntu one cough*. Plus the interface requires a decent computer, so if you have one like an imac from 2007*squints at apple* then you should opt for somthing less resource intensive. If you really want to, then you can go on distrowatch and read about it more.

• Furqana Fathuzzaman

If you want something similar to windows and work everything out of the box, go for linux mint.
    If you want to experience something new, go for Ubuntu.

Since you’re from Windows, then you won’t have any problem/tied with “Unity is sucks and different from gnome2″ or anything (not that you need to concern yourself with this last sentence anyway)

• Benjamin Benkert

Ubuntu is the easiest to setup. You will understand what you’re doing while installing and it comes preloaded with everything you need. It also has great support for most hardware. It also has a great look and feel. I’ve tried other distros, Ubuntu came with the least hassle on setup and it was more fun. Mint is good too but kinda boring like windows. But they are getting better with each release.

• Burning Chrome

Ubuntu :)