What is wrong with my SEAGATE hard disk?

Dick Moreno May 2, 2013

My SEAGATE 500GB hard disk doesn’t work after I watched a movie. When I insert it on USB port, the power LED is glowing and the fan doesn’t make any sounds. Does it mean something loosen inside? Like cables?

1. Dave Rimmer

What you mean is you have a Seagate 500GB Portable drive, I still have my 320GB Seagate drive they are normally very good, try what ha 14 has suggested as moving the drive while watching a film should not make any difference. All I can add to try is go to Start/Computer right click select Manage a window will open,on the right select Disk Management if your drive is not showing up after trying everything it may be the BIOS but get back after you have tried the methods.

2. yudics

maybe your hard drive is shaken when watching movies, next time put your hard drive in a stable place that is not easily shaken during operated, to fix this, run your comand prompt (windowsStartMenu->Run, and type cmd), in command promt type: "chkdsk g: /r" ( chkdsk is command to check hardisk, g: is the drive where your hardisk detect in your system, and /r, is command to read your hardisk), so if your hardisk is detect as drive f in your system, type chkdsk f: /r, and then press enter. when process is done, check your hardisk in windows explorer.

3. Spazz

I have had the same issue quite recently. Luckily my 1TB drive was still under warrantee, so it will be swopped out. I have known since many years back that Seagate's ball bearing settings on the motors are not the best quality. When I purchased this 1TB, I figured if Seagate is still in business, they probably sorted out this problem. Apparently I was wrong, lol. My suggestion is, get it swopped out if your's is still under warrantee. don't step in the Seagate trap again. Go for Maxtor or Western Digital, or even Samsung next time.

4. Mark Williams

Hi Dic,

There is possibility of physical damage of your Segate HDD. I request you to show this to Data Recovery Expert and avoid any experiment on it.

You can call to any Data Recovery expert on Toll free number.

Have you tried a different USB port or USB cable..

6. phogey2

I have an external Seagate hd. they have a good support site you can go to .it will run thru with permission & also you can get sea tools & a few goodies. Mine works fine now. good luck.

If the case is easy to open, by all means open and check the contacts, but the symptoms you describe would normally indicate a more serious problem. It's difficult to suggest more without more information, such as the model number (or at least, the approximate age and whether it's a 2.5" or 3.5" model).

1) go to Start then to Run and type cmd, right click on it and choose run as administrator
    2) on the black screen type: diskpart and hit enter
    3) then type: list volume and hit enter
    do you see your hard drive?

go to device manager and see if there is a yellow symbol next to your SEAGATE hard drive, if yes right click on it and choose uninstall (do not delete) reboot and let windows to rediscover they hard drive and install the driver.