What is the structure of a programming project?

Varun S August 25, 2013

I have a project in mind. It can either be something like a stock trading platform or something similar but web-based. It would not be to trade stocks but some other commodity. It has to be secure.

What I would like to know what is the structure of such a project? Like front end. back end, database and so on.

I am absolutely new to programming and don’t know anything about working on a large project. I don’t know how they are conceptualized and what the different parts of the project are.

What languages would be used in the front end, back end, database, server etc if the project was web based or a trading platform like terminal software?

Is there a book to learn about programming a large project? I don’t mean teaching me the language but explaining me the different stages & structure of the project.

1. dragonmouth

As Bruce said, a project of this complexity should not be your first effort. Besides, there already are many commodity trading packages, both free and pay-for, out there.

Here are a few to start with:

Managing Programming Project Processes
    Code Complete
    Software Engineering: A Practitioner's Approach

The first is viewed from a project management perspective. The other 2 should be required reading for ALL programmers and mangers of programmers.

If you truly are new to programming, undertaking a large programming project should not be your leaping-off point. You really need to start with the small "boring" stuff before doing any kind of large-scale project. These small projects are the building blocks that will show you how to do larger projects as well as how NOT to do them. Without that knowledge, the large project is pretty much doomed before it even starts.
    Many more (over 10,000) can be found here.