What is the new replacement for Microsoft SteadyState for Windows 7?

Charles Angofff March 21, 2013

Does anyone know of a good substitute for SteadyState that’s compatible with Windows 7? I’ve used Deep Freeze and Clean Slate in the past but have not been too impressed with them because the system setup deteriorates over time from trying to do updates. Thanks in advance!

1. Harold R

The best alternative to SteadyState that I'm aware of is Drive Vaccine. No comparision!

2. Melissa Megan

Hi, I would also recommend you to go with Deep Freeze Enterprise. It is really a better replacement of Steadystate. We are using it from the day, Microsoft has phased out Steadystate. It work fine for us. It has already reduced our day to day pc problems.

3. Jack Smith

Hey Charles, I would like to recommend you the Faronics Deep Freeze. I'm using it from last 5 years and its work perfectly for us. These has done good work and still giving a good results. With the recently updated version of Deep Freeze, you can able to manage the windows updates and also Apple updates for Mac system.

4. Kevin S

I am a User of Reboot Restore Rx as well. It has worked for us in our library great, very simply to use and best of all Reboot restore if free perfect for us because we have a Very tight budget. and since Steady state is no longer around Reboot Restore Rx is by far the best replacement that we have found.

Hello, have you tried returnil?

http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/

By the way, if you want to do it the old way, you could try cloning your system.....

6. Harvey Victor Spector

I totally understand what you mean Charles. I have used Deep Freeze as well, it was fine till I had to updates and it was quite a hassle to get it done.Now I use Drive Vaccine, it does the job perfectly.The updates takes place easier and efficiently. But if this Nick says what is true, time to do a little testing!. :)

Here is a list of 5:
    http://www.instantfundas.com/2010/09/5-alternatives-to-windows-steadystate.html

Read the comments at the end, it will give you more tips.

• Nick Markov

Alan - The link that you are providing is from a post way back in 2010. That's a decade in the technology world.

8. Nick Markov

I have reviewed all products and If you really liked Windows SteadyState then you should most probably look for a solution that restore on every restart. I am just finishing my tests with a product called Reboot Restore Rx and so far it looks like the perfect replacement for steady state. And best of all Reboot Restore Rx is Freeware.

9. Nick10

If you are looking for a good alternative to steadystate - I would recommend looking at Reboot Restore Rx. You mentioned that you main concern is you PC becoming degraded over time. This is probably because of the way updates are handled with Clean Slate and Deepfreeze. The Reboot Restore Rx was just launched this week, and I have completed my testing of it. It looks very promising and uses very little system resources.