What is the better desktop client OSX Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird?

toqi786 May 19, 2012

I was wondering, what is a better desktop email client: OSX Mail or Thunderbird?

Is a desktop email client, really worth it?

1. Kieran O'Connor

I was a fan of Thunderbird even in the old days of using Windows XP so when I migrated to an iMac it made sense to keep Thunderbird as my default e-mail client.

Certainly I have had no regrets and have never been tempted to migrate to Apple mail.

In fact with the way that OS X is developing (Lion anyone?) I can envision the day when I move away from Apple again, perhaps to LINUX - and again, I can keep using Thunderbird.

Apart from all this, the sheer number of skins and “personas" available make complete customisation an absolute pleasure.

2. omprakash

sorry...i dont know about mac os,i will try later

3. Alan Trinder

If the question is solely for Mac users I am on the wrong track, for windows I would love any email client that even comes close to Outlook for the spelling and proofing it offers. I use the Google chrome plug in that allows me to utilise my gmail off line on my netbook but to be honest is isn't great so info greatly received.

4. Lee

I think it depends what email provider you use. If you use iCloud (or MobileMe) for email, Apple's mail client might be better. If you use something else (like Gmail, Hotmail, or something from your ISP) then Thunderbird might be better, although Apple's mail client will work fine.
    I haven't really used Apple's mail client much (at least on a Mac), but honestly I don't think it matters too much what client you use (unless you need or want addons/extensions, then Thunderbird is better) because both will get you to your email.

5. Susendeep Dutta

Thunderbird is the best desktop email client with support for addons and many useful functions.It's also cross platform compatible.

A desktop mail client is useful only when your internet connection is bad i.e gets disconnected very often and other reasons,you can view your emails when offline and when you're on the go.

6. Laga Mahesa

The choice is up to you. Both are free, but with Thunderbird you can (theoretically) migrate your profile fairly hassle-free to another system, whether its OSX, Windows, or Linux.

The choice doesn't stop there - there's also Sparrow (OSX and iPhone only), and Postbox (OSX, Windows, iPhone).

Personally I'm not a fan of Thunderbird, I'm still choosing - I've been using Forte Agent on Windows for over a decade and need to move on.

As to whether it's worth it - I'd say yes. You have the peace of mind of having a local copy of crucial emails, and you can compose / read whilst offline. If the internet at your location isn't the best or is expensive, this might be a worthy consideration for you.

HTH.