What is the best wireless router for a Home network?

Mike Kettle January 10, 2013

I have a two story house with an unfinished basement that is between 800-900 square feet per floor. The router will be placed on the main (middle) floor in the middle of the house. My wife has an older Belkin router that I think needs upgraded, but need suggestions for the best router for my house setup.

What would you recommend? Preferably $100 or less, but if there is something amazing for more, let me know.

1. Luna Leng

Well, Huawei B970 maybe a good one for you

2. Anish Parameshwaran

Personally, I like using my AirPort Express since it's so small and can fit anywhere to be hidden. It also has the functionality of connecting to a speaker system so that you can wirelessly stream music from iTunes or your iOS devices to the speaker system.

3. Steve Taylor

The Buffalo High Power series router/AP's are very impressive for a situation such as yours. i set up a small RV park using one as a remote access point and it did VERY well on both range and throughput. When placed correctly, even inpenetrable obstacles were not a problem with a reflected path around them.

This is a newer model than the one I used that sells for $58.99 on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/BUFFALO-AirStation-HighPower-Wireless-WZR-300HP/dp/B0096239FG/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Or, if you want some serious speed and throughput, there is a great one on sale at NewEgg for $69.99 (well worth the ten extra bucks!):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162070&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Network+-+Wireless+Routers-_-Buffalo+Technology-_-33162070

The latter one is an N600 (up to 600 Mbps per the standard) High Power Gigabit Dual Band (2.4 GHz and 5GHz) wireless router. I might just have to get this one myself !

Both can run DD-WRT, which is an open source software that, in my opinion, blows all the other big name boxed software away with its versatility and customizability...

4. Kenneth Told

I've had the best luck with the Linksys WRT line of home/small office routers. They are affordable and easy to install and customize. Because I work from home and VPN into corporate networks, I find these routers don't block any of the common or even unusual VPN encryption I've needed to use. Tried a new, fast ASUS, but it wouldn't work with a simple IPSEC VPN. Tech support with ASUS was worthless. I like Netgear too and use one of their wireless APs (I have a difficult wireless environment).

BTW, you question is like asking what the best car to buy is. Plenty of good ones, depends what your needs are and how much you want to pay.

Good luck,
    ~KT

5. Vinh

I have the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND router and it works well enough in my two floor with basement house. I have the router installed on the top floor and I get a 75 mbps connection (with 3/5 bars) according to Windows 7 from the basement using a TP-Link TL-WN722N USB adapter. I haven't experience any connection drop or lag issues when playing Team Fortress 2. The router itself can be easily flashed to DD-WRT for extra features and stability. It only costed my $50. Well worth it.

6. Silhoutte james

Asus RT-AC66U 802.11ac Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router
    Linksys EA4500 Media Stream N900 Smart Wi-Fi Router
    NetGear R6300 WiFi Router
    http://router.iyogi.com
    D-Link DIR-857 HD Media Router 3000
    Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight Double 450Mbps N Router

I agree with Jan that it's difficult to give a definite answer, especially without a lot more detail. That said, both Netgear and D-Linnk make some excellent routers, and if you get a model with removable antennae then you'll have a flexible solution and, if the need arises, you'll be able to enhance the range by using hi-gain aerials.

Thanks! See my comment on Jan's post.

Not sure what the cost of this is in America but its around $100 here:

TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 N750 Gigabit Router

Best 5 wireless routers over 100USD
    http://reviews.cnet.com/best-wireless-routers/

Best Budget Wireless Router
    http://www.bestcovery.com/best-cheap-wireless-router

10. Jan Fritsch

Hard to give you a definite suggestion without some more details.

Does the router need a built-in modem?
    Does the router need to perform PPPoA, PPPoE or the likes?
    Do you need the 5GHz band or is 2.4GHz enough, simultaneous?
    Any other features you'd like e.g. an isolated guest WiFi?

"Out of the blue" two suggestions I would make are:
    EnGenius ESR750H
    D-Link DIR-825

I'm a beginner when it comes to routers so it looks like I need to do some research on some of these options.

Does the router need a built-in modem?.....No, we have one through comcast.

Does the router need to perform PPPoA, PPPoE or the likes?... Not that I know of...

Do you need the 5GHz band or is 2.4GHz enough, simultaneous?... What are the advantages/disadvantages and/or requirements of each... I haven't even gone too deep and technical. (Same with PPPoA, etc...)

Any other features you’d like e.g. an isolated guest WiFi?... No need...

• Oron Joffe

Hi Mike,
        I'm not familiar with Comcast (I live in the UK), but from your answer I gather that you have a separate modem (e.g. a cable modem) with an ethernet connection.
        In this case the DLink DIR-615 would probably be ideal for your purposes. It has 802.11N wireless with two aerials so it will have a good wireless coverage, and it is a dawdle to install (I've just installed one this morning, it's as simple as it comes). It's also quite cheap (less than $50 in the UK, probably less than that in the US).
        If you do run into problems of coverage (unlikely, but hey, every house is different), I can suggest three solutions:
        1. Try relocating the router (put a laptop in the least covered area and move the router until you get signal)
        2. Connect a PowerLine adapter to the router and place a PowerLine Wireless bridge in the dead area to extend the range
        2. Use a wireless repeater to extend the range (I don't particularly like this approach since it's the least reliable, but it has to be mentioned).

Good luck!