What is the best way to use a TV as a computer display when the computer is 100 feet away?

Scott Pickett November 21, 2012

I have a client that has 2 locations. At both locations they want to mount a 40 inch TV on the wall where everyone can view it and display critical information on it. It will be connected to a computer that will be running the necessary software to display our wanted information. The kicker is that the computer will be around 100′ from the TV at both locations. We are considering running VGA cables but is there a better way that won’t break the budget?? What resolution issues should I expect??

1. Sathya Murthy

There are various length video cables that can be made which supports connectivity. Use fibre optics cable to connect the computer to the TV.

• Scott Pickett

I've never seen a fiber optic extender like you are describing... and idea who makes one? Would be worth a look.

• sathyamurthy

The Cable TV system uses fiber optics to transmit the video. This helps in transmitting via lentghy cables. Find the URL http://computer.howstuffworks.com/fiber-optic.htm which will give you more information

2. Aniket Singh

u can use wireles device but what about mouse and key board it will not work from 100 fet

3. Brandon Clark

HDMI over Cat5 Extender, 200ft max, should work great if you run the Cat5 through the wall and have an HDMI faceplate installed (hide the extender in the wall and connect to the back of the faceplate).

• Brandon Clark

or just run a 100FT HDMI 1.4 Cable through the wall with said jack.

• Scott Pickett

HDMI has a length issue and going past 30' isn't recommended. I have looked at the HDMI extenders and I really think these might be the best overall option for good screen resolution however you need to buy a module for each end AND the modules need power on each end. Ends up being close to $400 for the run. Oh and most need 2 CAT5e or CAT6 runs to work properly.

if you rely on cable then shorter is probably not possible.

PC to TV Wireless Connection
    http://askbobrankin.com/pc_to_tv_wireless_connection.html

Can I Wirelessly Connect My PC to My HDTV?
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/227859/wireless_pc_tv.html

Wireless PC to TV Converter
    http://sewelldirect.com/wireless-pc-to-tv.asp

5. DalSan

You could use a wireless pc to tv link in order to stream pc content to the tv. It usually plugs into the USB port on the pc, then plug in the adapter to the tv. The picture quality may suffer some, but the better ones will not be that bad. Some are around $40 for the cheap ones, and $150+ for the better ones. Not sure if the wireless link can handle 100 feet very well, but you can check the specifications of the devices to see if it can handle it. Otherwise you would need a cheap nettop pc box and do a remote pc link.

• Douglas Mutay

This is a great idea Dalsan. Actually I didn't even know that this was possible. I have just checked on Amazon and found very interesting option. Thanks for bringing this out. I think this is the answer for Scott problem because some of these great gadget can provide Wi-Fi transmission up to 180 feet and even more.

• Aswin Kumar K P

Good Idea.But Wont anybody able to stream inbetween ??

• DalSan

This is a streaming device to device scenario, where it streams from the USB device connected to the pc to the box that connects to the tv. It is not like a Wi-Fi streaming device where any computer can stream to it, it is more like a 2.4GHz cordless device connection where only the computer that has the USB dongle connected can stream to the tv. As far as I know, it is only a wireless monitor stream, much like a wired monitor connection.

• Douglas Mutay

Absolutely right. Only the computer that has the USB dongle connected can stream to the TV.

6. Douglas Mutay

Hum... personally I think you don't have another choice than using cables because I don't think you will be able to broadcast wirelessly your video from your PC to the TV monitor.