What is the best way to backup my photos in the cloud from Windows 8?

Krzysztof Bu?ko December 19, 2012

Hi,

I have a lot of photos (about 25GB) I have been taking for years. I would like to organize them and have them backup in the cloud (my disks like to crash, and data recovery is expensive). It would be great if there is free solution, I’m currently using Windows 8.

Can anyone suggest a good, free service? If not free, then cheap!

1. Igor Rizvi?

You can use dropbox,you can use diskdrive...google drive...bunch of free and with enough space

2. Christin

If you want to keep your photos resolution but upload/download it in faster connection then I think Dropbox is the best solution. Otherwise, Box is cool too, since they are giving away free 50GB space now till end of Dec. Box also adapts Dripbox sync system by adding sync folders on your PC.

If you like to blog (like me), I recommend Minus http://minus.com. They gives 50GB storage to upload photos & music files only. It has option to share your photos in html code which is neat.

3. Callum Cockburn

Loads of these, i like Dropbox, which is faster and easier than Skydrive or google drive

4. hades same

skydriver is very good as both are recommended dropbox

5. Rohit Jhawer

Skydrive used to give 25gb space now it gives 7, Check how much space do you have.
    Else I have a simple solution. Use Picasa to upload all your photos to Picasa web albums. But make sure you change the default upload setting to Medium (1024) This way you can upload any Number of photos to Picasa for free. Or you can use Google+ to upload all the photos. There is a similar way with SkyDrive but it will consume less space. Skydrive if you have 25gb space else Picasa. Got few other alternatives.

• Krzysztof Bu?ko

I'didn't know I can upload any number of photos to picasa :) Thanks for this wonderfull news ;) I have made Skydrive lately so i have only 7GB.

6. Gordon Simmons

Have you considered moving all your data to Amazon Glacier Cloud? Very affordable solution to upload TBs of data, the solution am using Zoolz is costing me 3$/100GB a month and yes it is compatible with Windows 8.

I can assure all will be heading to use the glacier technology in no time, worth checking out.

7. Nicola De Ieso

You should use SugarSync that in the new version beta 2 introduced new useful functions and improvements than the old version 1. The free space is 5 gb and you can arrive up to 32 gb.

8. Parth Nagvadia

u can use dropbox or google drive.............

http://www.dropbox.com
    http://www.drive.google.com

Bitcasa might be a best solution for you with infinite storage solution.It has recently launched Windows 8 client.

Bitcasa brings limitless cloud storage to Android and Windows 8 today, iOS in January -

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/18/bitcasa-brings-limitless-cloud-storage-to-android-and-windows-8/

• Krzysztof Bu?ko

from early 2013 Bitcasa will be free up to 10 GB but it's quite much until i'll find enough firends to get them as referrals in Dropbox ;)

10. shaurya gupta

U can use skydrive coz it is already integrated with windows 8....

11. Krzysztof Bu?ko

Ok, thanks for so many replies ;) the Adrive seems to be biggest free cloud storage. But what about second part of the question ? organizing photos. what are the best applications for this ?

• Krzysztof Bu?ko

ADrive have no Desktop application in free version :/

Adrive 50GB free space
    http://www.adrive.com/personal_basic

Windows 8 integrated SkyDrive Cloud service and you can then buy the extra space required.

14. Kelly Nice

google drive is the best and fast service i used

15. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Dropbox is seamless, but you'll need to purchase extra storage. Have you considered Google Drive or Box? You can get 50GB in Box if you sign up for a new account in conjunction with Fetchnotes. It's a good deal. If you already have Google account (which is very likely) then Google Drive is okay.

16. John Smith

Most free cloud services offer a limited space , so if you really want to backup all your photos you may need to pay for a suscription in services like dropbox or similars.

Sync them to dropbox or skydrive or google drive. but these only offer limited free space. you will have to buy the rest of space or you can use different cloud services for all the photos. there are many cloud backup services now a days.

18. Monica Phalswal

You can use SkyDrive(7 gb free) or GoogleDrive(5 gb free). Either you can make multiple accounts to use it for free or you can buy more space:)