What is the best surround sound system at a reasonable price?

Anonymous July 3, 2013

I am in the market to purchase a surround sound system and I know little about them or sound systems in general. I would like to know what suggestions you might have.

Some specific features I am looking for are wireless speakers. I am in the military and move around, so installing speakers at every new place I move to is not a great option.

I don’t know the ins and outs of the different types; 5.1, 5.2, 7.1. Are the sound bars all they are cracked up to be? Or is a standard 5.1 system the best way to go?

Thanks for your help. I hope to hear back soon!

To clarify on the different numbers and what they mean, 5 would be 1 center channel with 4 satellite speakers (front pair and rear pair) and the .1 would be the subwoofer. 7.1 would be front pair, middle pair, rear pair, center channel, and subwoofer.

Depending on the sound quality, surround quality, and your budget, your choices can be from a sound bar with or without subwoofer, a 2.1 virtual surround system, or a full blown 5.1 surround system. Wireless systems would be very expensive, and sounds bars can be difficult to set up (more of the room arrangement instead of the speakers) for a surround effect. Either way, what you want would come at a price; either cost, quality of surround effect, or time and effort of setting up and packing for moving.

2. Matt.Smith

The one I always hear people rave about is the Energy Take Classic 5.1. They seem to have a fair amount of umph and are not (that) expensive. http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/energy-take-classic-5/4505-7868_7-33310963.html

You may be out of luck as far as wireless speakers go. They exist, but I've looked around for decent ones that aren't extremely expensive, and they seem almost impossible to find. Maybe someone else knows of a set.

And I'd say go with 5.1. A good 5.1 set will give you plenty of surround clarity and enough volume to make the neighbors call the police.