What is the best OneNote equivalent on Linux?

Mark S August 13, 2013

I am switching to Ubuntu 13.0 for my desktop computer and need an alternative to OneNote for Linux.

1. Farhan K

Evernote is the best note-taking software on all platforms{PERIOD} ;)

2. Justin Pot

This is a major weakness of the Linux desktop right now – OneNote and Evernote, the top two notetaking programs, are both not offered. You can use the web versions, but there's no official desktop version.

If you get set up with Evernote, look into Everpad. It's a pretty good Evernote client for Linux users, with some offline support but limited features:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/everpad-evernote-client-ubuntu-linux/

There's also TomBoy/GNote, which you can find in your distro's repo. I'm a big fan of Zim, too – it's a desktop Wiki you could easily use similarly to OneNote. I hope this helps.

• Mark S

Thanks Justin, I appreciate your help.

• Decoy V

KeepNote is also a good alternative. Like Evernote, notes can be sorted into notebooks and it features rich-formatting, search, screenshots, file attachments, autosave and backup. It is cross-platform, too, since it's availabe on Windows, Mac and Linux. Also, if you put the notebooks to Dropbox, you can always access to your notes from every PC and they will be backed up for good.