What is the best in-demand skill or skillset to teach yourself?

Phillip W August 8, 2013

What is the best in-demand skill/skills to teach yourself? Like a skill or skills that you can freelance or make your business with and that is very profitable and that will be profitable for a long time.

1. Guy M

I agree with Bruce. As a mentor once said to me, "I can teach a person to do things, but I can't teach them to care." So if you can develop an attitude of caring about what you do, the other things will come. I'd say you have that already as you are looking for ways to improve your situation.

CompTIA A+ certification is a good start into fixing and maintaining computers. That can't really be offshored like programming and design can.

Getting certification in other areas of computing like networking through Cisco, or Microsoft certification would be the next logical step. Build as you go.

If you are looking at a trade, I highly recommend Instrumentation or Electrician. There aren't enough good ones to go around and there is plenty of employment available in these sectors. These can be done as apprenticeships. Most often, people will take a pre-apprenticeship course at their local college to gain basic skills and show potential employers they are serious.

There are a lot of in-demand skills, but what tends to be overlooked are the soft skills that will benefit you an any endeavor. Communication skills should be at the top of this list. No matter what industry or job you are looking at, the better your skills at both verbal and written communication the greater your potential becomes in that field. There is even greater benefit if you will starting your own business, either as a writer or in any other field as you will be spending a lot of time with correspondence with customers, suppliers, employees, etc. There are also a lot of sites out there the can help an invividual find freelance writing jobs if you are looking for fillers during slow times with your regular work.

• Phillip W

That's the main thing i would like to do is start my own business, I love technology i love design, i love computers that's why i want to learn a couple of profitable skills that fit in that range.... In your opinion whats the best way to improve on your communication skills, verbally and written ?

• Bruce E

Look at what is offered at your local community college or university. In many cases, they have fairly regular workshops for both creative and business writing. Some have workshops geared to improve your speaking skills as well.

You can even benefit from online courses freely available from edX and others. The last time I looked, they didn't have any specific writing courses, but many of them involve a fair amount of writing as part of the curriculum and examinations and it allows you to expand your horizons regarding other matters such as the effects of globalization while improving the communication skills you want anyway.

3. dragonmouth

What field are you referring to?

Being any kind of a craftsman (carpenter, cabinet maker, plumber, etc.) can be very remunerative. The two main requirements are to like what you are doing and to do it well.

• Phillip W

Online in general, not offline....