What is the best free text editor for programmers?

shaurya gupta June 14, 2013

Hi,

I want to know which is the best free text editor with support for HTML, CSS, jQuery, PHP, Javascript, etc.

It must run on Windows, have a cool dark theme and autocomplete  – what are my options?

1. EditPP

Try SynWrite editor. It's like Notepad++, for Windows, and open source. It's more powerful than NP++ without plugins.

Notepad ++ is the best thing you can get for programming.

3. Chris S

Anyone who hasn't used Sublime Text 2 should not say Notepad++ until they've tried Sublime Text 2. It was so good I paid for the full version and I've never been happier with a code editor. I highly suggest you at least look at the demos on the website. And don't forget there's nothing stopping you having both. I do, and I still use ST2.

4. Switchblade Switchblade

Freeware wise go for notepad++. There are other free and paid solutions but notepad++ will do

5. Michael Teague0

Like many above I use Notepad++.

6. Dejan Kumric

Maybe. you can try also two free editor for Web developement:

Adobe Brackets (Brackets open-source code editor built with the web for the web)
    http://brackets.io/

or

CodeLobster PHP Edition
    http://www.codelobster.com/details_phped.html
    Free version or you can buy Pro (more advanced version).

But as Chinmay Sarupria Mention, I give vote for Sublime Text. Yes it is not free, but it really powerful.

7. Ryan F

Hands down and without a doubt would be Notepad++

WHite

As others have said, there are plenty of excellent free editors there, but I join the Notepad++ camp!

10. DalSan M

Most common are Notepad++ and Notepad 2. Both have portable versions as well so the text editors can be customized to your liking and used on other computers as needed.

There are dozens and dozens of text editors about some customisable some not. The problem with this sort of question is that many people have their own preferences for their own reasons so that makes it difficult to give an acurate answer.
    My preference is Notepad2 but I am sure you will get a lot of other recommendations.

12. Ron

Notepad++ is a perfect text editor for programmers, which supports many popular languages

13. null

notepad ++ i like this and i think this is the most popular and useful text editor if your question is solved then please make my answer as a right answer so that people find it helpful.

• Paul Pruitt

I second that. It has great context highlighting if you specify the coding language. Also has tons of add-ins.

14. Chinmay Sarupria

Sublime Text 2 is what you want. It has a dark theme and autocomplete feature. It can be downloaded and evaluated for free, after that you can purchase but because there is no time limit for evaluation so you don't have to purchase.

http://www.sublimetext.com/2