What is the best free antivirus that is low on resources?
Question by Shaurya G /

My laptop always shows a 100% disk usage. However, when I uninstalled the antivirus I was using, the problem was gone.Poof! First I had AVG and then i had Avast.

So I want to know which antivirus should I install that is light on resources but won’t compromise my security. All I want is active virus protection and none of those crappy extra features like email and P2P shield.

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , .
Windows Tips
Windows Tips
Windows_10
Windows_10
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Online Security Tips
Online Security Tips
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
Mac OS X & Software
Mac OS X & Software

• Rama M

Avast is best . I don’t know why are you saying it drinks your memory . anyway answer for your question is
    Cloud Antivirus ..
    According to company it requires only 64 MB of RAM so it will run finely without drinking your RAM.
    also High detection rate (100%) . ( av-comparatives.org )
    I ve used it in my windows xp pc for 1 year , and it really worked fine .. now switched to avast internet security.

Download link : http://goo.gl/0uCXJc

• Mike Merritt

To “Uninstall” an anti-virus program, you need to use their own uninstaller downloaded from their site. Sometimes you have to “install” the A/V again, then “uninstall” it – to get a clean removal. All A/V sites have a dedicated uninstaller program that works for them. Using Windows alone to get rid of an A/V program doesn’t really work. Lotsa stuff left behind :-(

• Susendeep D

If you do want an antivirus product which doesn’t compromise on features,security then Avast is the best. What you can do to get rid of email,P2P shield is that during installation,choose custom one and untick those components which you don’t want.

After unticking those components,you’ll be able to run Avast with low memory footprint.

• Rama M

Right ..
      you can also stop the shields
      Settings >Active Protection ..
      Avast 9 doesn’t comes with P2P shield..

• Dalsan M

For one of the lightest AV software that is worthy of checking out is Panda Antivirus. It is cloud based, so Internet connection is required for it to be most effective. http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/

• Oron J

I haven’t had any trouble with AVAST in terms of resources, but if it does not work well with your system, you could try AVIRA. It’s a very good AV product with a very light footprint, but has a a slight tendency towards false positives (identifying valid files as viruses), so you want to watch out for that, and perhaps check reported viruses with a second product (e.g. an onine check).

• Andrew Raisbeck

I’ve found Avast to be excellent on a 1GB RAM pc.All the other antiviruses were either memory hogging or ineffective, one even crahsed our hard drive 6 years ago.
    Avast sits in the background, will analyse anything suspicious and blocks harmfull web pages and viruses/spyware, free