What is the best format for a music video library?

Abul Hassan January 14, 2013

I have a large collection of music videos distributed across my devices in different formats.

What is the best format to make a video library in my computer ?

1. Usman Mubashir

mp4 is the best

2. = edyshor =

I agree with previous posters, avi is the most popular, however, do you really want to undertake the conversion process for all of them (i assume you have a lot of videos) ?

3. Derek Domino

I use avi but they can take up a lot of space if you have loads of files if that's the case I would use MP4

4. Alex

As we can see, the winner is MP4. No doubt.

But there is another question here. Format is not the only factor to have in mind when we think of a optimum storage way. What about resolution?...

I'd like to know what is the best (minimum) video resolution so the file can be seen at IPod Touch and TV as well, without artifacts or any other low quality defect. Any help?

5. Sean Seebran

I use mp4 for my videos although I'm very satisfied, I'm still experimenting a little. :)

6. VampJoseph

A lot of my devices play mp4 and avi so that's all I have on my computer. just encode them in the format that the majority of your devices can play.

7. Engin Erayd?n

Mp4 with H264 codec.

8. Phil Botsky

.mp4 is the best solution for u i guess

9. Clint Brothers

VP8 is the absolute most versatile / portable. It was bought by GOOGLE from on2 tech and then google open sourced the whole codec. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP8

MKV and MP4 for me.

11. George Lowry

I play my movies through the USB port a Roku box to the HDTV. Since (our) Roku box only plays .mp4s and .m4vs, the choice is made for us.

32GB USB sticks and Handbrake complete the package.

12. Mihovil Pletikos

i would go with mkv.... the best compression with the least lost in quality

• Doc

MKV is a container format, like AVI - you can place anything (Divx, x264, MP4, PCM or MP3 audio, etc) inside the file, with hundreds of choices for the audio and video streams. x264 is just the most common video codec, which has good compression with good quality.

13. Adrian Bagnato

It depends on what can be played, .mp4 is great, it works on Apple iDevices and computers (some may require a codec), but i find that if i skip to a certain part of a .mp4 file, it takes a few seconds to load.
    .avi is my favourite, but not compatible with Apple iDevices

14. Saurav Azad

better go for mp4

15. Abul Hassan

Thank You Guys for comments, is there any video format which supports tagging facility like in mp3 ?

• Douglas Mutay

If you decide to go for MP4 as other said because of the size/quality fact just keep in mind that one of the weaknesses of the MP4 format, is that you can’t easily add in metadata tags into the video file as for the other formats (WMV, AVI). The only way I know is by using a small DOS command line application called Atomic Parsley. It can do the job but there’s no easy-to-use graphic interface. So unless you want to write a simple GUI front end be prepared to work in a DOS environment. You can download it at http://atomicparsley.sourceforge.net/

• Abul Hassan

Thank You for your help, gonna try the thing you said.
        Searched a lot for this.,Thanks again.

• Douglas Mutay

You're welcome Abul. I am glad I could help you.

• Adam Campbell

Assuming that we are talking about the same thing, MetaX (mac only which may be a problem for you as you mention using DOS commands) is a great GUI for adding metadata to mp4 files.

16. Ahmed Musani

mp4 and avi are the most popular and work on many devices.

17. Adam Campbell

I'll comment with the risk of repeating some other answers. I personally use the mp4 format because of its portability in terms of size and compatibility in terms of playback devices. I personally dislike the AVI and MKV video formats because (besides that fact that Microsoft developed the AVI format) they do not play on my mac without installing additional software. Also as Lisa pointed out, an AVI file of the same quality as an mp4 video will (usually) have a larger file size.

18. Lisa Santika Onggrid

AVI generally has good quality but sometimes could be very big. Stick with hi-quality MP4 for sharing with devices.

• Doc

AVI is not a "format," it's a container. Lots of AVI files are in the Divx (video)/MP3 (audio) formats, and lots of devices have the "DIVX" logo on them, such as the Blu-Ray player I bought at WalMart (a Phillips), and the last DVD player I bought before that. PS3s, IIRC, will also play Divx videos.

The new "media darling" video codec is x264/H264, which can be contained in MP4 and MKV (Matroska) containers, which produce smaller files with better quality (often 720p or 1080p).

Another point is, if you can find devices or players (i.e. Android or iOS apps) that will play *all* the mentioned formats, you're gold - and you don't have to waste time degrading your files by converting formats (it's unavoidable - transcoding *always* degrades quality, unless you go from lossless format to lossless format).

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Thank you for the explanation. It's clear and concise.

generally speaking is a form of video/audio file

Choose MP4 as it's compatible with many devices.

avi, mp4. Some devices come with demo videos, just inspect the media and see how they are encoded then see if all your device will play that particular media format, if yes then prepare the library accordingly.

MPEG-­?4: A family of codecs, some of which are open, others
      Microsoft proprietary.
      H.264: Most commonly used codecs for videos uploaded to
      the web. Part of the MPEG-­?4 codec.

MPEG-­?4 (known as .mp4): is the standardized container for MPEG-­?4.

File size & quality:
      1) Frames per Second – The standard for
      FPS is 29.97, increasing the FPS allows for more images per
      second thus a smoother image.

2) Video Bitrate -­ Your overall bitrate is a combination of your
      video stream, audio stream & metadata in your file with
      the majority coming from your video stream. The higher the
      bit rate the better the quality the bigger it will be.

3) Resolution – this is the number of pixels present in the images of the video. This determines whether your video
      is standard definition or high definition. The higher the resolution the clearer the image the bigger the file.