What is the best fax modem software and how long till it pays for itself?

Anonymous July 16, 2013

Hi all,

After reading a previous post about faxing, I’ve decided to invest in a fax modem and associated software for a Windows machine. Has anyone done some research on this already, and if so, can share:

• What setup you use
  • If you’ve encountered any unexpected hassles or workarounds required
  • Whether the faxes always go through on the first attempt

Thanks in advance,

Joe

1. Megan L

My fax-machine is http://www.popfax.com - without investments in any kind of equimpment

A fax modem and associated software only pays for itself in convenience, not in expenses.

You will still need a telephone line for the fax modem to operate which will therefor generate monthly costs. If you want to receive calls while using the fax you'll need either ISDN or multiple single phone lines.

Depending on the software, PBX functionality or an already existing PBX you could provide each employee with their own fax number.

The convenience is that with software you can usually send fax right out of your word processing apps, Email, PDF etc.

In our company we use an internet based fax service from our mobile provider. Basically you have a piece of software that installs a fax printer on the computers which you can then use to send fax from any machine and any application with a print option.

The other way around the fax is received by our provider and then forwarded to a predefined email address. Duo to the costs we only have selected fax numbers.

If you are just looking for usage on a single machine, Windows will automatically install a fax driver (used just like any other printer on the system) if you have a fax/modem installed. However, it does not support sharing.

To set up a fax server on a Windows network, you can simply add the Fax Server role to an existing Windows 2008 or later server. Refer to Microsoft's documentation for details.

For my personal use, I am in the first category and haven't had the need to set up a dedicated fax server as I fax directly from either my primary or secondary machines natively.