What is the best cell phone plan for a student?

John P September 3, 2013

I am looking for a cell phone plan for student (in other words, budget is an issue).  Free options include the Samsung Galaxy S III or Nexus 4. Is one really better than the other?  Which would you choose and why?  Camera not really an issue. Battery, WiFi and voice are priorities.

1. John P

Thanks for all the feedback. In the end I found that my employer had a "friends and family" plan that was better than what was available locally. We got 1 Galaxy S4 Mini and 1 Galaxy S 3.
    Very happy with both.

• Susendeep D

John,

Congratulations for your new phone with your best suited plan.
      I request you to kindly mark your question as resolved by choosing a comment which has helped you most.You can do this by clicking on the tick mark of that best comment present on left side.

I can't comment on student plans that would suit you well in your area.
    But regarding phones,I would suggest you to go for Samsung Galaxy S III.Its battery life is better than Nexus 4 and has a good camera too.It's better in most of the respects compared to Nexus 4.

4. Dave P

They're both great phones, to be honest. If they're available for free and you can afford the monthly contract then just choose which you prefer and go for it. My point is that you'll enjoy owning either of those phones, so I wouldn't worry too much about comparing them.

Are you looking for advice on a cell phone plan or cell phone? Of the two, the Nexus should offer quicker updates than the S3. Otherwise, it is about the features and whether they what you would use or prefer. The S3 has Smart Stay, which keeps the screen on as long as you are looking at the phone, as well as a few other "neat", but unnecessary features that may run the battery down more (some "Smart" features rely on the front-facing camera and/or proximity sensor to be on in order to work properly). As far as cell phone plans, check to see if there is a student discount through the college, usually there is a 10% discount or so on new plans through the life of the contract as well as discounts for phones.

6. Bill G
  7. Bill G

I am blown away by Walmart's family plan (Samsung GS4). I expected it to be very difficult and require much patience. Easy-peasy. We are very happy paying $15/month per person less ($40 / month w/unlimited text, phone and 5GB data per month before throttling). The T-Mobile service is very stable so far (except inside the hospital at UUtah). YMMV