What happens with my original software when I re-install Windows?

sanaan bin mohd sanaan January 29, 2013

I have Windows 7 64-bit installed on my 1 TB Seagate hard drive. My motherboard was not working, but with warranty Intel gave me a new motherboard and I have booted Windows with my hard drive.

So I want to reinstall Windows 7. I have original software installed on my Windows 7. If I reinstall Windows 7, should I buy software again?

I have original keys of Advance System Optimizer, Cyberlink Power Director 11 Deluxe, and 123 Copy DVD Gold.

Can I re-install Windows 7?

You can re-install them if you have the serial keys.

2. Finnhs Hs

Yes , you can , just back-up The Software To An EXTERNAL Device (USB , Thumb
    Drive , CD , DVD or any other type of portable media)

3. Richard Samuel

Hi mate,

If you want to reinstall windows 7 and also you want to save your original software then i would say check the product key, as you said you have product key then you can go ahead and reinstall windows 7 after that go online and download the copy of software from respective website and activate with the product key.

All The Best.
    Let us know if yo did it.

Thank you

Re installing software with original keys is highly dependent on the Vendor eula. Some are quite lenient, others limit the number of installs to put a bite into pirating. My own experience with Adobe, for example, has been that in order to re-install, you must first un-install. That's not always possible with a dead HDD. HOWEVER, a call to customer service allowed them to do the disconnect/unistall from the server-side (un-authorized the dead machine) so my re-install could proceed normally. (The NetBIOS machine name obviously had to be different).

5. Adinamo Alex

you reinstall all apps and then activate all of them with old keys.

6. Aditya Bhat

hi
    if u reinstall u dont need to buy the software again
    but u have to backup your files like music and games and movies
    dont worry go ahead and reinstall or do a system restore
    it will help u a lot!!
    pls like

7. Kylee Kanavas

Most likely if you reinstall an op sys, then its going to whipe your hdd. But if you have purchased those programs im sure you could reinstall them, afterward.

8. Vivek Yadav

dude, If you have the win7 installation disc, you can use the “upgrade” instead of the “custom” install method. I believe that the upgrade option is dependent on your flavor of win7 i.e. professional, ultimate, etc.. As to repurchasing the software, absolutely not. The software should be able to be downloaded or reinstalled again from disc. If the key won’t register, then contact the customer support for the company and explain your situation, they are usually pretty cool about things like this.

9. Nevzat Akkaya

Unfortunately not all softwares can be installed later even if you have the serial. If you get the software with a promotion, as a giveaway, a time-limited campaign, you may not be able to install some of them because some software do check for availability of the promotion, do time-check, hardware check, so they can't be installed/activated again. However if you have bought the software, I'm sure you can install/activate whenever you want (on the same computer, of course).

10. Jack Schiff

As variant, reinstalling is not nessesary. Old Windows and programs can be just run on a new mobo. Previously, or if Windows is loaded, install new drivers for the chipset, etc.

11. Switchblade Rebirth

Assuming the licence key doesn't have a limited number of activations on a PC, you can use the same licence key otherwise you can contact support of the companies of the software that you bought.

you can use licensecrawler to backup your serial keys then upgrade and do not install windows 7. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/use-licensecrawler-to-recover-your-lost-software-serial-numbers/

If you have the keys and serial numbers with your self and you have not shared your keys with a friend you can install them and use your existing key.
    No need to purchase a new copy.
    Same as you , I have had bit defender internet security, Microsoft office and some other original soft wares which are working fine after installing fresh copy of windows.
    Note that some softwares requires de activation. check help menu or options of your softwares if they have an option for deactivation. if they had then deactivate it and activate in your new windows. if they did not have deactivation then they do work with your new windows as well. wihtout purchasing a new license

14. Rocco Rizzo

I hope that you saved at least the software keys to the software that you purchased, because that is probably the one sure way that you can reload it without a problem. Otherwise, you are up the creek without a paddle.

15. Jordyn Bushaw

Yes, you may reinstall Windows, but to get your paid program's product keys you will need to find a free tool that will search your registry for the product keys.

16. salim benhouhou

if you have the serial keys then this great just save them in a safe place then re-install win 7 after that install these softwares and register them using the your backed up keys .

17. Kuriakopoulos Marios

you can reinstall all your bought software..they definitely can be used more than once on 1 pc

18. Lisa Santika Onggrid

If you still have your activation code you should be able to reinstall them later. Some software companies allow user to request code for their purchases if they lost the installation, so try asking the developers whether they'll send you new code or not. You might even get a discount for the newest version should you decide to upgrade. Most of the time you will not be required to buy again, since you already a valid customer.

19. shaurya gupta

While reinstalling you will find an option that says something about keep files and programs or something like that. Or you should just repair it.

Not sure I fully understand but if you have bought the software and have the keys then its just a case of re-install.
    If you have bought the software but dont know the keys, go to the software home page and you should be able to retrieve your keys.

A direct answer is if you have bought software once, you do not need to buy it again.

21. Adam Campbell

If you have the win7 installation disc, you can use the "upgrade" instead of the "custom" install method. I believe that the upgrade option is dependent on your flavor of win7 i.e. professional, ultimate, etc.. As to repurchasing the software, absolutely not. The software should be able to be downloaded or reinstalled again from disc. If the key won't register, then contact the customer support for the company and explain your situation, they are usually pretty cool about things like this.

see if you can use the in-place upgrade install option, in this case all your software will be preserved.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

23. Jordyn Bushaw

You can create another partition on your hard drive and install Windows 7 on that partition.

• Finnhs Hs

All That Wil do is copy Windows 7 taking more hard-drive space

• Jordyn Bushaw

Yes but then you can get a product key finder and you can download and install the software that you purchased on the new partition. Afterwards, you can then transfer your documents over to the new partition. Then you can delete the old partition, but you will have to resize the partition to get full capacity back.