What happened to these folders on my hard drive and why did they disappear?

Fika November 12, 2012

Hi there,

I have problem with my HDD. Suddenly some data is just missing.┬áThe capacity is 482 GB and the free space is 197 GB. I dont know why but when I tried to open some folders (which had some videos in them), they couldn’t be opened.

Nothing seems to work, when I saw the properties it stated 0 bytes but when I tried to search it, no files are found.

How can I fix it? Is the data is completely lost? Thank you in advance.

Hello, the more common cause for this is a virus. Have you run complete scan on your computer lateLy? It could also be that your disk is in the way out.....

2. prasad kondaveti

may be your pc infected with virus (or) problem in your hard disk. just run COMBOFIX once.

3. Abba Jee

if you cant open folder and its size show you 0 byte , more chances its security policy is changed you might need to check its security tab when you right click on that folder there you need to see if you( user ) is permitted to access that folder

4. Qin Tang

Well, that's so sad. As for your case now, you can use some recovery software to try to find your files back. Some software like Recuva, Power data recovery are great. You may have a try. Good Luck!

5. Remington Ostrout

Could you have a virus? Try running some anti-virus software and maybe something will come up. Best of luck to you!

Maybe they were hidden. In windows explorer select Organize/Folder and search options/View tab/Show hidden files, folders and drives.

7. Dimal Chandrasiri

I think you've got a malware or a virus in ur computer! get a software to scan it and see!

8. Pwince Khan

virus maybe?

It might be the case that the partition that contained the data is having bad blocks.Use live CD of any Linux distro you prefer to live boot to see whether you can explore the file contents of the drive.

Easeus data recovery wizard tool has the ability to recover files from the partition whose data is invisible -

http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm

Note :- The free version only recovers 1 GB of data.

You could also try Paragon's solution too -

http://www.paragon-software.com/free/rk.html

10. Douglas Mutay

Check for virus or try open the HDD in another OS

11. Nikhil Chandak

they may be having virus ...
    or use Advance System Care
    In Advance System Care ( version 5 ) go to toolbox , and then select the disk explorer & then explore ur drive , it will find all the files and folders present in the drive . This may help u out ..

Many a times , I have seen these types of question in MUO answers and I suggest to use Advance System Care . This has also happen with me , but I use this software to find all the files present in a drive ....

12. maria

search the files by their names. maybe you can find them :)

13. Brandon Clark

Check your recycle bin? or other folders in case you mistakenly moved them.

14. Aniket Singh

simply re-store it at a point where it was working good................

15. dhanunjayarao chunduri

first of all scan your HDD for viruses with latest antivirus then search for the files.

Do you have permissions to access those folders and the files they contain? Did someone else take ownership and change permissions?

did you tried to use windows restore point to revert to the date where you could access data.

most likely its gone

possibilities
    1. corrupted section on HDD

run this: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=seatools-win&vgnextoid=552bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

should check for bad sections

2. virus mucked with you

use antivirus

3. error with your HDD's addresses

chkdsk might fix. instructions: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true