What happened to my Windows 8, it’s just no longer there?

Jeri A July 23, 2013

Well, I put Windows 8 on my computer that was running Windows 7. I love Windows 8. I got up one morning and Windows 8 just partly wasn’t there. I used to have desktop that opened with Internet Explorer and a Start page with all the tiles that opened Windows 8 right there, but now I do not.

When I click on a tile on the start page, they open up in IE on the desktop. What happened, do you think?

Was there a Windows 8 Start Menu software installed? Advanced System Care and a few other software vendors offer the Start Menu and install it automatically, which can bypass the Windows 8 tiles screen. As a note, you can move the mouse over to the right side of the screen (I think the right corner) and click on the Windows icon. The left corner shows the most recent opened app. I don't particularly like these quirks, but it may get better in Windows 8.1 and 9.

2. Alan W

Ohhh Dear Ohhh Dear!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The quality of the questions just keeps on improving..............

• Tim Brookes

Alternatively, it does say something about Windows 8 and Microsoft's ability to prepare its loyal userbase for a "bump-free" transition (or not).

3. Jeri A

This is Jeri. As I sat here this morning, reading the answers to my original question in IE on the desktop, I decided to give them each a try. So I went to the START menu to begin the procedures and "Lo and Behold!" all had been fixed/changed whatever. Do you suppose Windows 8 heard of my distress and sent a fix or update to my computer??..

it is Windows Way to say: Thanks for choosing Windows:)

go windows restore centre and use restore point to revert back to just before this problem.
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/restore-from-a-restore-point-in-windows-8.html