What gaming laptop should I buy?

Ijtaba Alavi January 22, 2013

I have read the specifications of all these laptops and i’m confused which one to buy, here is the difference i figured out. I’ll mention the company name as model number is mentiond in the question.
Dell is giving:-
4GB RAM, 3rd Gen i5 processr and 2GB DDR5 NVIDIA GT 650M graphics with 17inch screen!
priced around Rs.64000/-
Samsung is giving me same spec nd much more:-
8GB RAM, 3rd Gen i7 Procsrr nd 2 Gb NVIDIA GT 650M but it’s DDR3 not DDR5, with 15.6 inh screen
around Rs.59000/-
Lenovo gives:-
8GB RAM, 3rd gen i7 porcssr nd 2GB NVIDIA GT 650M DDR5 SLI graphic nd 15.6 inch screen
around Rs64000/-
all three laptops have 1TB hard disk.
Now please tell me what should i buy, more high configuration in lower prices (Samsung)? or go with Lenovo? or go with brand name => Dell ! with 17 inch display but with only 4 Gb RAM -_-
budget is around 65000/-

1. Bhavesh Sethi

So what did you buy???

2. Ayush Mittal

Hey Buddy I Read Out You Would Only Prefer Dell For Warranty.I Must Tell You Lenovo Also Provides Accidental Damage Protection.And As I Told You Previously You Should Go With Dell.Not At All With Samsung

• Ayush Mittal

HEy You Should At LEast Reply Is There Any Problem LEft

3. Chris Kelly

Razer Blade maybe?

4. Jagbir Sembhi

Don't go over the brand just buy for your compatibility and needs and budget.

5. prashanth singh rathore

i think you must go wih Lenovo

6. Rob Hindle

Just one question for you.
    The only advantage of a laptop as compared to desktop is portability. Do you NEED portability?
    A desktop will give you much higher spec for the same price, is easier to upgrade/repair and is harder to steal. If you need portability then do you need portability with good gaming capabilities or could you get something small and cheap for portability (or use a high-end mobile phone) and have a desktop for gaming.

• Ijtaba Alavi

A laptop for gaming !
      i play 6-8 hours daily and i can't sit for that long!
      i play while lying on bed, and laptop gives me evry position i want plus i can take a gaming beast in my backpack and can travelle with it anywhere ! :)

7. prasanth vikkath

Don't ever go for Samsung laptops, it's not reliable. They are good in smartphones but not good in laptops. It gets heated quickly and the body can get damaged easily. Dell is a super manufacturer but comparing the price Lenova will suits your requirement

• Ijtaba Alavi

yeah :) thnks

8. James West

Try sager

9. Ahmed Musani

lenovo should be best amongst all. since it also gives ddr5 which means greater expandibility. go for it.

10. Jagbir Sembhi

Get Lenovo

11. Jan Fritsch

I don't see where Dell is a more significant brand than Lenovo as Lenovo has the bigger market share.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of any 17" laptop, they are big, they are bulky, they are heavy. I buy a laptop to be mobile with it and if I need screen-estate at home or work I'd rather buy an external monitor.

Between the Lenovo and Samsung it would be good to know the actual processor. While the Core i5 is a dual-core the i7 is available as both, dual- and quad-core. So there might actually be a big difference between the devices.

With the information given I'd definitely go with the Lenovo. Their laptops are quite "rugged", robust and hard to kill ~ I have a few at home which are over 8 years old and still perfectly work.

• Ijtaba Alavi

now that's it what i wanted!
      A review for lenovo laptop from a lenovo user!
      :)

12. Ijtaba Alavi

Sorry! as my question is changed by moderator !
    model numbers are:
    Samsung NP550P5C-S03IN
    Lenovo Ideapad Y500
    nd Dell New Inspiron 17R SE (Turbo)

http://www.newtechnology.co.in/compare/?product_ids=51619,52442

Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Review there is some game testing
      http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/698723-lenovo-ideapad-y500-review.html

Dell New Inspiron 17R SE (Turbo) should have a better cpu! so applications will be faster, on heavy loading laptops drops to their original core clock speeds..If that happens then the performance will drop to a low level depending on cpu, so check which one has better cpu.

the above laptops have limitations, basically it depends if you are heavy gamer or heavy worker:) make your choice, now if you do photoshop , molecular modelling then sure bigger screen is better but will use more battery! power and performance are winners:)

• Ijtaba Alavi

but Dell Inspiron 17R Turbo in 64k comes with i5 3210M procs nd lenovov gives 3632QM proccsr !
        in that case lenovo's cpu is faster! right ?

13. salim benhouhou

i would recommend lenovo it's better i guess

14. Alex Perkins

I would say the Samsung, DDR3 is much the same as DDR5. The graphics cards in all 3 are the same, they're just putting extra words in to confuse buyers. Hope it helps.

• Ijtaba Alavi

DDR5 had almost double frequency than DDR3
      means 3D texture will load faster i DDR5 than DDR3 but it's jstu memory
      and Lenovo is giving switchable SLI graphics

• Kannon Yamada

GDDR5 makes a huge difference in framerate and stuttering. It's also been my experience that GDDR5 systems generally get hotter than DDR3. I'm not sure why that is, since I believe the voltage requirements of GDDR5 are the same or less than DDR3.

Regardless, hotter systems will have a reduced life expectancy compared to cooler ones. One of the things I've noticed about high-end gaming laptops is that they suffer from chronic problems compared to business-class mobiles.

You can read about the impact of DDR technology here:

http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/build-a-gaming-pc

if Lenovo NVIDIA GT 650M DDR5 SLI graphic is real then it is better than NVIDIA GT 650M
    the GDDR5-version of the card should be similar fast. Demanding games of 2011 like Battlefield 3 will be playable in 1366x768 and medium or high settings. Less demanding games, such as Modern Warfare 3, are easily playable with maxed out settings and 1080p resolution.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.html

• Ijtaba Alavi

and what about the most demanding game?
      Crysis 3 ?

well it should be tested, it should work not sure which resolution will give you the best.

http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?gid=832&graphics=GeForce%20GT%20650M%20GDDR5

crysis 3 system requirements
        DirectX 11 support is a minimum, which means Windows XP isn't on the guest list. Also minimums are a 1GB graphics card and dual core CPU, with EA detailing Nvidia GTS 450 & Intel Core2 Duo 2.4Ghz (E6660) and AMD Radeon HD5770 & AMD Athlon 65 X2 2.7 Ghz (5200+) as example minimalist Intel and AMD setups respectively.

The full list of specifications is after the break.

Minimum system requirements for PC• Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
        • DirectX 11 graphics card with 1Gb Video RAM
        • Dual core CPU
        • 2GB Memory (3GB on Vista)
        • Nvidia/Intel example setup: Nvidia GTS 450, Intel Core2 Duo 2.4 Ghz (E6600)
        • AMD example setup: AMD Radeon HD5770, AMD Athlon64 X2 2.7 Ghz (5200+)

Recommended system requirements for PC
        • Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
        • DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM
        • Quad core CPU
        • 4GB Memory
        • Nvidia/Intel example setup: Nvidia GTX 560, Intel Core i3-530
        • AMD example setup: AMD Radeon HD5870, AMD Phenom II X2 565

Hi-performance system requirements for PC
        • Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 •
        •Latest DirectX 11 graphics card •
        •Latest quad core CPU
        • 8GB Memory
        • Nvidia/Intel example setup: NVidia GTX 680, Intel Core i7-2600k
        • AMD example setup: AMD Radeon HD7970, AMD Bulldozer FX4150

• Ijtaba Alavi

So it'll be somewhere in the middle of more than medium and less than higher :P

correct:) more than medium, how much more?, only testing will confirm.

16. Chase Calonne

you should buy lenovo, its configuration is better than that of dell.
    Also the reviews of dell laptops are not so good as compared to dell

• Ijtaba Alavi

yeah that's the thing which is stopping me from buying it :(

17. Ayush Mittal

You See You Should Go For Lenovo.ts Not Always About The Brand Name Dell Is More Earlier Established In India Then Lenovo That's Why It Has Greater Stand.But If You Are Still Afraid Then You Could Have Extended Warranty.You Should Also Consider That Laptops Are Not Easy To Modify So When You Are Thinking TO Buy A Gaming Laptop You Should Have The Best Configuration which Lenovo Provides More Better Than Other.If You Think About Samsung Then I Must Say Ram Is Not Only Enough It Needs Graphic Too.Hope You Like IT.

• Ijtaba Alavi

yeah Lenovo Ideapad Y500 is Giving SLI switchable graphics

I'd go for samsung or lenovo which gives more specs for gaming.

• Ijtaba Alavi

yeah but what warranty the gives?
      will they cost 13k for motherboard or will replace it for free under warranty?

Ijtaba,

As you are in India, the brand-name analysis is not relevant as actually Samsung's presence, reach, availability is the strongest in India. Besides, it is also a very respected and well-known brand worldwide. They have much more service centers, if required, than lenovo and dell. Besides, dell and lenovo being more of corporate players, do not give much importance to individual consumers, when they are stuck. Samsung is more for individuals. Besides they offering at the pricepoint sounds correct. their service center listing is found here : http://www.samsung.com/sg/support/location/supportServiceLocation.do

• Ayush Mittal

Samsung Doesn't Provides Better Service Than Dell.And Samsung Is Weaker Than Lenovo In Durability

• Ijtaba Alavi

WEll yeah Dell is best i servicing but I need moer performance then Dell is giving me in 64k and yeah as parts of laptop comes with a high costs so i want a good service too like free replacement of parts under warranty ! :P
        which company gives that othr then dell? Does lenovo give the same? please reply i want to know this.

• Ijtaba Alavi

Bro, last year Dell replaced my laptop's (Inspiron 15R) LCD, Motherboard, HDD, DvD Drive, and Speakers!
      If i'll go for dell then this is the only reason :(

• Ayush Mittal

You Are Right On This Dell Provides Accidental Warranty

20. Daniel Huss

that Samsung is going to give you the best "bang for the buck." and from what you've provided here it doesn't sound like it would be worth the extra cost for that Lenovo. If you can swing it take the extra savings and try to get an external monitor, you might need to go over budget for that one though.

• Ijtaba Alavi

Lenovo is giving Switchable graphics with SLI Graphics !

• Daniel Huss

after looking at the Lenovo's site, I wouldn't put too much stock in the upgradeable graphics. It's a proprietary interface (actually the same bay for the DVD/BD drive) which means you'll only be able to buy any upgrades from Lenovo and you'll probably have to overpay for them. Another thing that gives me pause about that is the only thing I see that they sell for that is an additional fan and a HDD caddy for secondary hard drives.

But it sounds like you really had your mind set on either that Dell or the Lenovo. In that case go with the Lenovo.

• Ijtaba Alavi

Does lenovo give good build quality in it's laptop or consumers keep complaining about the damaged hardware ?

21. Alex Schnapps

Lenovo, apparently. And this brand is not less dell IMHO.

• Ijtaba Alavi

are you sure? i'ts Lenovo Ideapad Y500!

22. Diego Martinez

get an alienware.

• Ijtaba Alavi

Alienware is too costly here and i will rather buy a desktop then -_-
      it costs around 1,57000/- India Rupees