What free bandwidth meter will give a graph of average bandwidth over a designated time frame?

Joseph Videtto December 6, 2012

What free bandwidth meter will give a graph of average bandwidth over a designated time frame ? In our workplace (a school), the Internet is often very slow. I know speakeasy.net will give a bandwidth speed at an instant in time, but bandwidth availability can change second by second depending on lots of things – what users are logged into our local network at any momement and what they are collectively doing bandwidth-wise, I imagine. Is there a free tool to tell me (and pass onto the network group) what our average bandwidth is over, say, a one hour period, that can assure me if the internet bandwidth allows usage of selected internet apps ?

…Or – what free bandwidth tool could help me understand whether the bandwidth speeds are sufficient for, say, viewing youtube videos or playing educational games, etc.

1. Aditya Roy

Networx!
    Along with Winpcap!

2. Joseph Videtto

If understand correctly, Bitmeter will record the ACTUAL bandwidth useage of a PC, e.g. while running an Internet application, which will be a function of both the application running and the current network available.

Suppose I want to measure AVAILABLE bandwidth for that PC at a given instant, is there any way to do that ?

Available bandwidth? I'd imagine you have available whatever you have based on your ISP, network and/or network connection. Of course, if you have a decent router, you can set boundaries for each/specific connections. A DD-WRT router or equivalent for example, is great for measuring bandwidth of the entire connection, etc.

Agreed. BitMeter OS is the only one I know that does this properly: http://www.schvenn.net/programs:bitmeter-os

4. Rohit Pandey

u can check bandwidth of your connection aas per requirement..
    u can set the time period and type of output as well
    it can be graphical,numbered..etccccc

BitMeter OS
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/241664/how_to_monitor_your_bandwidth.html
    The History tab allows you to see a usage record expressed in minutes, hours, and days. Each measure has its own bar graph with download and upload statistics. You can export the data into a CSV file by clicking the link in the lower left.