What drivers do I need to install Windows 7 in Virtual Box?

Jay P August 25, 2013

I am having trouble installing Windows 7 Pro 64-bit onto Virtual Box. The problem occurs after I press “Install Now” and it arrives at a screen in which I am told it is missing a CD/DVD driver.

I do not know where to get the drivers or how to install them.

Jay,

Kindly mark your question as resolved by clicking on the tick mark of the best comment.

2. Jay P

I am using an ISO file. I tried downloading it again and it worked. Turned out it was corrupted. Thanks.

• Jan F

Cool. Thank you for your feedback.

I believe there should be no more issues with Windows 7 in VB but if you do run into problems with network connectivity go into the advanced network settings of the virtual machine and change the adapter to "Intel Pro/1000 Desktop". That's usually a safe choice.

Are you using an actual Windows 7 DVD or are you using an ISO to install it within VirtualBox?

If you are using a DVD make sure the virtual CD-Rom drive is set to pass-through/host-drive within the VirtualBox (Storage) settings.

If you are using an ISO make sure it isn't corrupt by checking the MD5 hash with the one stated for the download:
    open up a terminal window
    type "md5 /path/name_of_win7.iso"
    (you can just drag&drop the ISO into the terminal to get full path and name)
    The hash is stated at all official download sources.
    For unauthorized downloads I'm afraid you can just try downloading and installing again.