What does rooting a phone mean?
Question by Ben /

When someone says he/she wants to root their smartphone, what does that mean?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged ; or ask your own question.

• Server

Well. I heard from my friend that he has recently rooted his
    Samsung Galaxy S 3 and he went through it fine. He did it
    because he wanted to install Pure Google ICS and replace
    the Touchwis system apps. He also said something about
    “flashing a ROM” or something like that. I thought to myself,
    because I have the same phone, could I do it too, and understood
    the risk that if something goes wrong, my precious phone
    would literally become a paper weight. But an another thought
    arose to my head too;
    Is rooting a phone legal? That’s because if it’s illegal, I wouldn’t
    do that. I hope I can get an answer :)

• Eggsamazing(:

How do you root an LG Venice? I just got it, and I never rooted a phone before, but apparently you need to root it before you can download different fonts, and different keyboards for it. So, would anyone give me a link, or easily explain how to do it please?thankss(;

• Myint Ko Ko

How and why does root on nokia 500?

• janet

my phone is way too slow

• vanessa

How do I root my Samsung galaxy 111

• Sam

How to Root Samsung Galaxy Ace

• Sam

How to root a andriod phone Samsung Galaxy Ace

• dr. android

”Basically, rooting unleashes your phone’s true potential. You can access the full hardware capacity of your device, making it achieve greater processing speeds, faster memory accessing and a lot of other cool features. Actually, to be more exact, rooting gives you access to the root user of your device”

You can find a small intro for rooting and what it’s al about on my site:

• mickey

I was wondering if it is difficult to load the play store on a new Android tablet I am getting? It says it s comes rooted out of the box?
      Thanks in advance for any help.

No.You can make sure that you can get apps by checking whether it has play store app or not.

• goodie

a rooted phone. can you wipe it out without going through an authendication process eg supply username or password or root password so u can control when and who can flash your phone. say you install avast anti theft app and you want to keep it even if the phone is hard reset. or you want to keep the samsung account for your galaxy even after the phone is hard reset.
    basically i am asking how you could secure a phone using the superuser or rooted phone in the event of it being lost or stolen. coz theives can just flash the phone or hard reset them and go on to use them. if the requirements of a samsung account log in was required to do the hard reset this was going to be good.

• Rob Hindle

Your question has been answered but can I add…

The main reason for rooting is to change the software. That might be just deleting some default items provided by the original supplier – for example mine came with mapping software I had to pay to use wheras google maps was better and free (apart from data costs depending on the contract). Initially I just wanted rid of the clutter. However you can make more radical changes like replacing Andrioid operating system with a newer version.
    That may seem attractive and sometimes is beneficial, however there are some things to be aware of…

The “upgrade” process is a fairly technical task, instructions are not always clear and correct and there’s the possibility of “bricking” the phone (i.e. the upgrade goes wrong and there’s no way to recover it to old or new version – so the phone is now useless).

The replacement versions are produced by enthusiasts – they may be absolutely fine but there are risks, maybe its a bit buggy and could even include some malware.

If you’ve already got paid apps on the phone replacing the OS may mean you need to reload (and possibly even re-purchase) them.

The phone hardware may be inadequate to support the replacement OS in some respect.

Once upgraded configuring the phone to work with your chosen sim may be another technical challenge (I found it was fine for phone calls but had a bit of a battle persuading it to handle SMS text messaging).

So… if you do want to upgrade the software: check that it’s compatible with the phone (My phone model was manufactured with 2 different screen technologies and so there were 2 replacement Android variants specific to the screen technology so look very carefully at the detailed specification of phone and software), be wary of Beta versions, stick with versions that have been around long enough for other folk to have used them and found any problems, look around the various offerings with a skeptical eye with the aim of finding a trustworthy provider.

The risk may be more acceptable of a £100 phone than a £500 model.
    I’d also be a lot more cautious if I was locked into a 2 or 3 year contract rather than a purchased PAYG or sim-free phone.