What do you think of turning a Smartphone into a desktop computer?
Question by Rajaa Chowdhury /

What do you think of the initiative of Canonical of practically turning your Android Smartphone into a desktop by Ubuntu for Android? If you are not aware you can see the demo here and read more about it at here and then give your opinion.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Paul Pruitt

http://www.dailysteals.com/heist/5695/Motorola-Lapdock-100 – for $49, this will turn a Motorola Droid into a laptop of sorts, no installs necessary.

kind of dual boot, people using internet café can feel themselves at home. company phone as enterprise desktop. Ubuntu for Android justifies upgrading to higher bandwidth 4G connections.

• Jan Fritsch

I appreciate the creativity and effort put into it but for now I don’t quite see the practical use.

Any smartphone powerful enough to make it worth while is priced at like $500 and more. Ultimately you can get a netbook, inexpensive notebook or some super small sized computer with more power for the same money.

For now I think cloud services and cloud desktops are the way to go if you want to be mobile.

It is meant for the people who have invested in a high end android device or will be investing, it will extend the functionality of that smartphone to operate as a desktop also. You won’t need to root and neither you will be touching your android OS. Sounds good. :)

• Junil Maharjan

I have been reading about it from last year and they have at last displayed something. It is really cool and can’t wait to try it. But if i have to root my mobile or replace my entire android OS then I don’t think i would like to do that. I have great admiration for ubuntu and what they are trying to do is really new and awesome.

You won’t need to root and neither you will be touching your android OS. Sounds good. :)

• Rob Hindle

Interesting, I can see niche users being interested but not mass market. Although mobile phone processors are getting more powerful they will always fall well short of the spec of a desktop PC so more demanding apps (especially the most demanding games) will be too much for it. And of course we’re in the Linux world so there are far fewer apps than for Windows but, from the demo at least, it’s neat if it really is as seamless as just walk into your office, drop it in the dock and continue what you were doing.
    I wonder what happens if you’re speaking on the phone and drop it into the dock, smooth handover or disruptive? In dock could it seamlessly switch to using skype style VOIP on wireless (I guess not for an in-progress call).