What do you think of the new-look MakeUseOf?

Tim B September 3, 2013

So MakeUseOf has a new look – what do you think?

Is there anything you love? Anything you hate? Anything you’d change? Something you’d like to see?

Don’t be shy and share your opinion!

The new look is modern and resembles like that of tiled interface of Windows 8.The fonts are big and looks modern.The page load and new article loading animation is also good.

But there are some issue by the users which MUO needs to resolve quickly.

If a link is there in a article and if it's just exactly below the placeholder bar(or what's called containing topics,Q&A etc.),then the link is not accessible i.e. the cursor doesn't changes to hand.So,one has to scroll the page bit up or down to navigate to that URL.

I have a good hope that MUO is listening to its users and will definitely bring improvements in accordance with its users and will keep improving with times.

2. Keith W

Well, I've had a while to get used to it and I still hate it.

The home page looks like a pinterest clone - and that's not intended as a compliment. It seems like you think that the picture is more important than the text - that makes sense for pinterest but not so much here.

Since you also seem to have abandoned regular giveaways which might have kept dragging me back I think you have lost at least one reader.

3. Alan W

At first I didnt like it at all! But, that was the old "I dont like change" syndrome. Now I am used to it I think it works quite well.

4. Eric N

It looks pretty OK, but the home page feels cluttered. I would very much prefer the old style, where posts are arranged in a neat line. Also, the links to other posts on the side of the website is too big, making it just a little annoying. It feels like you are begging for people to notice your other posts instead of letting us focus on the current one.

Otherwise I've always been hoping for a responsive version of muo. Maybe a little tweaks here and there would be good. And the smaller navigation bar on top is a welcome change :)

5. Rob H

OMG - just been on a page with the Activity Stream.

That almost continuous movement is a serious distractions from the worthwhile page content. And it adds no value to users, I really don't give a **** that someone has earned points for some action that has no relevance or meaning for me. You might as well reinvent the notorious "blink" tag.

6. Kamil K

Looks clean & modern on my desktop, but I feel the text in articles is harder to read than before...feels like the things around the text are more important than the actual article.

7. Vipul J

The site UI is awesome and looks way clean (just the way I love it)
    But the favicon isn't too great.
    The old one was quite distinctive.
    Since I keep only icons in my bookmark bar and no text (http://i.imgur.com/YkD60Mt.jpg)
    At first I thought it was a bookmark to this site - http://www.naaptol.com

8. Paul P

Great update. It seems very fresh. Maybe a little derivative of other similar blogs but still cool. Work some more on making it a little distinctive from other tech blogs that have recently had makeovers. It's easier to navigate than the previous incarnation.

9. Saumyakanta S

I cant share anything , I cant see any sharing buttons

fast loading, thats cool:)

11. Rob H

Fail. Usability sacrificed for the sake of visual appeal.
    Some text too pale: hyperlinks and in Q&A. Some heading fonts/spacing too big causing more need to scroll.
    Top navigation needs drop down lists otherwise, especially with Topics and Top List, it's go to the page scroll down to the section you want, select and click. A new user going to topics page may think there's just the 4 sections (depending on screen width) in the top row.

12. Avinash M

Really awesome, more space is introduced for the content to breath..

13. Joses L

Ohh, another design change! It certainly feels more modern and all, everything feels cleaner, nicer, and more organized, well... except the home screen. Maybe it's just me, but the home screen seems too messy and too plain. It feels like there's only blog posts and posts through the site, although it certainly fits more in less space. It feels like some random link baiting site(again, it's probably just me...). The color scheme also feels a bit too bright.... everything else, though, more or less looks and feels awesome.

Definitely more modern. Works more seamlessly with my mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2 4.1.2 custom ROM, using Firefox Mobile). It is a little hard to discern the different colors between the background color (white) and the other shades used for boxing around the "Add Your Answer" and the Answer counter. Very slight minor cosmetic "bugs"as you say. I definitely like the lean and clean look as it is less distracting.

I like the new look, it feels clean and modern.
    Few things I believe need addressing:

Top List:
    http://cl.ly/image/3s2n3u2S212r
    - the floating Feedback box and the gray thingy above
    - the light gray background of the buttons is almost not distinguished from the white page background which makes it feel like a design mistake

Guides:
    http://cl.ly/image/2K2V3s2A151g
    - basically the same as above, Feedback box and the light gray border around the images

* I calibrated my monitor about 2 weeks ago, Chrome v30 beta channel
    * Those points are under the assumption that my content and color rendering are correct.

• James B

Yep, those are bugs we'll be addressing today.

• Jan F

Cool.

I'm probably part of the 0.1% percent who are annoyed(?), unhappy(?) with this but on the main/landing page it's almost impossible to click the links in the footer (About, Contact..) duo to the automatic content loading. Maybe the footer should be changed to a floating DIV? I dunno…

ps: you are listed twice on the MUO Team, James and MUO Tech Guy ;-)