What do you think about internet piracy, SOPA & PIPA?
Question by Erlis Dhima /

Hello everyone! I just thought doing this “question” since it’s a topic I really like!

Some time ago, MegaUpload got closed, and the owner got jailed due to copyright infringement, internet piracy and so on. A lot of other sites due to being afraid, limited their sites functions and so on!

Some people think this is the right thing to do, some people think that the internet life is being in danger! Some say, sharing is the only way to spread the information!

But, in the future I might be a professional programmer or game developer, and I don’t want that my game or software being “stolen” by others. So, what should I do!

One thing would be, to have some people check online sites for stuff without copyright rights, and use the appropriate tools to remove the content!

But, as many will agree with me on this, is the fact that in many countries, people can’t afford to buy a game or software! So, for example I can’t afford to buy antivirus, which probably might cost at least $50. So, I use a cracked version of it! It’s not my fault that the company of that antivirus is not able to create a software uncracked! Also, software and other stuff should be with different prices for different places! If I want to buy an antivirus for example (suppose $50), I need to work 3 days at least, and that’s just if I have a good job. But happens that you can’t find even a job to live. Even if you have a lot of capabilities, it also depends on the country you live and its ‘rules’. So, it’s not a simple thing to buy a software that it will be with the same price as in U.S.A for example, where there are people that needs to work only a day for it.

Also, we have to say, that SOPA & PIPA follows the rules of American law! But why does the world have to follow this precise rules? There must be other countries to give their opinion on this, I think!

That’s why I think that this is not a hundred percent right. But anyway, please give your opinion! Also, we know that some companies, or if we take singers, live their music to be shared everywhere, so they can get more fans! Even though this means copyright infringement!

Please, give your opinion about this! I would really appreciate it!

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Remington Ostrout

Internet piracy is not good. But for some people, it is REALLY helpful. That is really all I have to say on the subject.

• Sean A

To your first question I have no good answer. To your second you could build something into the software where upon starting it it will have to be cleared by a server saying you have permission to use the software. And I myself have pirated software due to outrageous costs charged by the developers. I am anti any internet control. It can allow a government to over control its people and keep them ignorant of the truth.

• Christopher Webb

They seriously need to improve the legislation to the point where it doesn’t threaten freedoms.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

This is highly controversial and I too, have conflicting opinion on this. On one side, I understand very well that copyright holders are raging mad about piracy (I admit I pirate quite a lot too, but it’s because the legitimate files (Playstation games, soundtrack albums) aren’t available legally in our country,but I digress from any justification here) but on the other side, there are legitimate businesses suffering as well. SOPA & PIPA are way too broad that they’re ridiculous. If you happen to have a website and a contributor uploads copyright-infringement media, then you’re also liable to sue. What makes it even harder is us who are living outside America should follow American rules (that’s SOPA and PIPA) as if they hold the whole internet. If they simply want to stop piracy, there are more elegant ways to do it.

• Erlis Dhima

I agree with you! Here in my country too, there are not so much softwares! The only way would be to buy them online. I think that too! People outside America are more affected to this laws.. But, we have also to accept that piracy has it’s own goods!

• Rayon Blend

I agree USA could try to built their code program and become soft and hardware nations just like the other countries has .. That being written before training DVD ( you have done that ) , trade school /or college to learn from these classes . Sopa law needed to be our watch dog , so other society outside of usa that want to take our copy-right and making their rights in their country .

• Muo TechGuy

If you can’t find a job to live on, perhaps downloading some training DVDs would be more appropriate.

• Erlis Dhima

I’ve already done and am doing that! :D
      (but it’s reality for a good part of the world)

How evil or good a company is,one must never think about stealing its products in any ways.After all stealing is stealing and there’s no excuse for one being poor and unable to access it in his locality.

The internet acts like SOPA,PIPA are the ways by many big institutions to prevent things that harm their interest and they will always like to frame such acts which comforts them so they do it in accordance with US laws.I don’t like such things and must never be supported as no one is ruler of internet so no one must be allowed to make such restrictive laws and snatch freedom from us.

• Erlis Dhima

I totally agree with you! I don’t like stealing too! But, some things are not right about this laws, I think!

• Boni Oloff

There is no problem with it. You can try to save more money if you really need a software.

• Douglas Mutay

You’re right boni. I am afraid there is not other “legal” option to your question.

• Erlis Dhima

I think you it would be better if you gave your opinion on this, and not approve others comments, like you always do.

• Douglas Mutay

Why losing my time typing the same thing if I found someone with same point of view as mine? I’m promoting his answer instead of writing the same thing. But since you want my opinion, I truly think that there is not other choice than to work for what you want to get. You won’t change anything on that law. If you think you can’t afford USA software buy what is available in your country since they were made to fit your pocket or simply look for free softwares.

• Erlis Dhima

I agree with you in some points.. But, probably if you read the other comments, you will see that there are not so much software available in my country! And also those that available are with the same price as in the USA! But anyway, I’m not saying that I agree with piracy and such!

• Erlis Dhima

If for some people it’s needed to save money for a DVD, imagine for a software… (I’m not talking for myslef here. But for me some years ago, and for a good part of the world this is reality!)

• Drew Butler

Sopa and Pipa aren’t really about about copyright infringrment IMO. It’s about comntrol . If we let these pass the internet in the USA will be like the internet in China..

“Oh someone has a site or is making information available that we don’t agree with!? It’s cool we will just stifle their freedom of speech and information and shut it down!”
    (Just a bit of sarcasm lol)

Anyways. I do want to say that I don’t support pirating but lets take cars for instance. The speed limit is about 70mph at its highest nationwide. Why don’t we put a governor on the cars or make the max speed top out at or below that speed? Freedom should be the answer… It is your choice whether you abide by the law or choose to break it..

I’m sure everyone can understand where I’m going with that example so I won’t write an essay on it. As a final thought there is enough information that is hidden from us by the government and we shouldn’t give them the power to decide what’s published on the internet. Lets keep these laws from passing, keep the freedom of speech and information alive and let those that pirate be punished according to their decision to break the law.

I really have a lot more to say but don’t want to turn this into a massive rant. These are my main points and although my thoughts are based upon facts these comments are just my opinion which my freedoms guarantee; of course that’s as long as these two bills don’t pass ;)

Wonderful Thread/question BTW, hope people contribute to the topic

• Drew Butler

Read this on my phone earlier and posted the comment from my computer… Didn’t read the entire thing to be honest(The beginning was very on-point but after checking back on the discussion I am rather upset with myself for not reading it thoroughly) and after supporting this thread I have to say once again that I don’t support piracy. Erlis many programs especially AV software have free versions and I recommend that you use those until you have the money to buy the software. Also if you still need AV software you should try contributing on here and getting Bitdefender or IOBit from MUO rewards program. This would get you what you need and you wouldn’t need to steal it….

• Erlis Dhima

I really appreciate your answer! In fact this question was more like a discussion! I took an antivirus as an example! (I’m already using a lot of licensed software and free ones too! But still there are some cracked! I have nothing to do about it! If there isn’t a law for it here…. :PP) There are a lot of things that I’m pro about sopa & pipa, and other laws regarding the internet world, but there are some things that are not right too! I don’t accept stealing too!

• Rayon Blend

That a good question ! . First off megaupload did copy , they could ask if they can use their icon or gifs for their sites by paying them . If you want to develop a game programmer there are college or business school you can learn to develop these skills. Now antivirus program are not the same in different places that is if you live in India – only buy India antivirus . Don’t buy antivirus from Russia antivirus for India computer . The world do not need other countries ‘ copyright as well of USA . I don’t want to watch hamlet in Iran . I don’ t want to watch Korea drama ” the bold and beautiful ” in USA . USA. , inside, don’t need sops – only outside of USA need sopa and pipa , ttp , dmcs . I hope this answer the best I can tells – that a tall question !! .

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks for your answer Rayon! But, I’m not talking about India or other countries who has it’s own developers and a high advance in technology! Here at my country there are not hardware or software developed! Everything is imported! So, we have to pay for those Russian or other countries software, with the same price as everyone!