What could be the problem of disconnection from the Internet?

Erlis Dhima May 21, 2013

I’m having a problem lately with my network connection. Almost every 4-5 hours my Internet gets disconnected!

After different tries, I got it “fixed” by turning off the modem, and after being connected I needed to check for errors on connection, so it could have Internet access.

From troubleshooting I get this message: “Local Area Connection” doesn’t have a valid IP configuration.

1. Yiz Borol

Just to be clear, are you turning off the modem or the router?

If it's the modem then you should take this up with you Internet Service Provider (ISP) as they're responsible for anything that takes place before the connection reaches your router. Make sure to explain to them that this isn't a one time thing, you've been having to restart your modem every couple hours for a while and you will not just take "well now it works" as an answer.

Out of curiosity, who is your ISP?

It could be a problem with the router settings or firmware as Bruce suggests, but I'd start by contacting the ISP to eliminate the possibility of line or ISP problems.

In general, you should leave your router on permanently, since it adjusts its speed continuously and any restart will set it back (particularly if you have to do it several times a day).

If you are directly connected to a broadband modem via Ethernet, ytour power settings can drop your connection so changing your settings so the network adapter won't be turned off when the system has been idle may resolve the issue.

If you are using a router, it may require a hard restart for a longer-term solution. This ended up being the solution at my dad's home yesterday. Their Belkin router has the same type of issues if it has been operating more than about 6 months without restarting.

You should also check for firmware updates for the modem (and router if you are using one) to make sure you are using the latest version as this could be an issue with the onboard code (especially with any DHCP- or DNS-related code).

Bonjour DNS Responder – unidentified network causing connectivity issues at startup
    http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-7/bonjour-dns-responder-unidentified-network-causing-connectivity-issues-at-startup/

Power Management for Network Devices in Windows 7
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee617165(v=ws.10).aspx
    un-check the option 'allow computer to turn off this device to save power'

Erlis,

Probably contacting your ISP customer care be more useful. This can happen due to lot of reasons, and they have the expertise and tools to deduce the reason. Would be a bit difficult for us to remote troubleshoot.

BTW, what kind of internet do you have. Is it an ADSL. Reasons can vary from copper wire issue, to TCP/IP stack MTU settings, to lot of stuffs.

• Justin Pot

Yeah, this could be thousands of different things, and we don't have many details. For example: do you own a router? What are you firewall settings? I could ask questions like this all day, but it's probably best to simply call your ISP.

• Tim Brookes

Thirding this. Your ISP will be able to see your connection going up and down, so they will at least be able to confirm the issue and start investigating it. They will also have their own checklists of things for you to do, like trying a different DSL filter or leaving your router on for 48 hours (if you've been restarting it) and other things.

Call them, they provide a service that you're currently not really getting. :)