What can I use to check Twitter at work despite a restrictive Internet Access Policy?

Mark Rathgeber January 17, 2013

Where I work, a very stubborn internet access policy prevents me from looking at Twitter, Tweetdeck, Facebook, etc. I had used Seesmic to check Twitter, which worked about 90% of the time, but Seesmic has been acquired by Hootsuite. First, I really don’t care for Hootsuite, and even if I did, second, I can’t access it at work. I know you have done this before, but since this landscape seems to shift often, could you do an update regarding “alternate pathways” to view social media. Actually, I think I learned about Seesmic from a MUO article, so thanks, but it’s not there anymore. Thanks, and I really enjoy your site!

1. dragonmouth

There usually is a very good reason for a restrictive internet policy in a workplace. It may annoy the employees such as yourself but you are paid to work, not to surf the Net and tweet your friends. Sooner or later management will get wise to your antics and then you'll have all the time in the world to tweet from the comfort of your home. Of course you won't have a job, but that is a small price to pay for the freedom to tweet to your heart's content.

BTW - I thought that MUO had a policy against advising posters how to bypass security and perform illegal acts.

2. babu vhora
  3. Newell Fisk

How about you either work, or get an iphone or something that uses 3g/4g..

4. Nevzat Akkaya

this "ifttt" thing look very powerful, thanks etech, I didn't know it.

5. Etech Etech

You could set up IFTTT to keep up with Twitter via text.

6. Nevzat Akkaya

You could set e-mail notifications from the ones you care about. You could also set daily Twitter updates via e-mail.

8. Jamie Merlau

The following website has been a pain in blocking, as they change their content signature to get around firewalls:

ultrasurf.us

9. Tug Ricks

How much do you like your job? There's usually a reason why certain websites are blocked, so you might consider playing by the rules until you get the okay to do otherwise. Just a bit of advice from your friendly neighborhood...

Use proxy websites to access the blocked sites. some of the proxy websites are hidemyass.com, 4everproxy.com, etc. But be safe from Big Brother.

11. Sashritha Peiris

Instead of "First, I do not care about Hootsuite" you should have written "First, I do not give a hoot about Hootsuite" lol.