What can I do to eliminate or minimize pop-up ads that open up new browser tabs and/or start a noisy audio or video playing?

Joseph Videtto December 31, 2012

I’ve noticed recently much more unwanted intrusive advertising invading my surfing experience lately and commanding my attention through videos playing, audio playing, new browser tabs opening that are hard to close because the “X” is in some nonstandard spot – very annoying.

How can I eliminate or minimize these disruptions ?

1. Prashant Mirjankar

Use adblock plus and adblock plus pop-up addon with mozilla firefox

works great

2. Justin Ellenwood

Install adblock plus and WOT. Say bye bye to ads, popups and bad websites

try adwcleaner
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Removal-Tools/AdwCleaner.shtml

boot to safe mode and scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, superantispyware, clamwin.

Do a system scan with HijackThis
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/HijackThis.shtml
    check for any suspecious elements and delete them

use Adblock Plus. its a great way to eliminate ads from websites.

• Muo TechGuy

And a great way to destroy the internet you know and love. Thanks!

• dragonmouth

"And a great way to destroy the internet you know and love. Thanks!"

You're quite welcome!
        Now quit spreading FUD! Ad blockers have been in use for a few years now and the Internet is healthier and more robust than ever. Besides, you don't want to use ad blockers, that is your business. But on MY computers, I am the one that determines who and what has access, not someone with a self-serving agenda.

Joseph,

You computer certainly seems to be infected by adware/malware and your browser hijacked.

First thoroughly check your computer for spyware/adware/malware and clean them first. Lot of good free software are available for that. I would recommend Malwarebytes Anti-malware free version, I use them myself.

Once you have done that, check your computer for viruses and clean them. Again lot of free good options available. Avast, AVG, Microsoft security essentials etc. After you have cleaned your computer thoroughly, install an anti-virus software.

Your browser may also be hijacked. So check that and clean those references with a browser anti-hijack software. again lot of freeware available.

Once everything is clean, install a firewall also along-with an antivirus already suggested. You can give Comodo Firewall FREE. It is a good software.

After you have done all the steps and ensured that your computer is clean, you can always turn on the pop-up blocker in your browser. Almost all modern browser has popup blocker feature built-in.

6. Anonymous user

"to make load" ouch... :$

7. Anonymous user

Look for "click-to-enable-plugins" in the Chrome settings or plugins page or so. That way you would need to manually click on each video, audio etc. to make load the plugin :) Could be somewhere in chrome://flags as well.

Another option would be to install an extension e.g. Ghostery and some ad-blocking extension... or to stop visiting such websites ;)