What can I do now that my laptop sounds “like a helicopter” after it fell?

Stephen L October 15, 2013

Yesterday my computer fell about 2 1/2 feet but it wasn’t on and I didn’t try turning it on until this morning. When I did, the startup looked normal but as soon as it started it sounded like a helicopter revving its engines for take off, even before it got to the login screen.

I immediately held the power button until it shut down. I waited a few minutes and tried again and once again shut it off immediately because I still heard the sound. I haven’t tried again fearing that it might be a problem with the hard drive, although when doing research I’ve come across the possibility that it might be the fan instead.

If need be I will take my computer to a professional but I’ve done internal computer repairs in the past and would rather not pay someone if I don’t have to. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or ways to nail down the problem conclusively.

Get it checked professionally. There are several motors in a laptop, including cooling fan(s), hard disc and possibly the optical drive. Any of them could have been damaged, and the damage may range from minor (fan slipping a little so it touches something) to major (hard disc being knocked out of shape). It's best not to mess around with it in its current state but to get an expert to open it up and check every component. In most cases, repair should not be very expensive.

can be the power supply something broke inside, try to reset cmos battery

I would check the cooling fan inside the laptop to see if it actually is the fan. It might have been knocked loose or there may be an obstruction in the fan. If the hard drive were failing, it would more likely have a clicking sound.