What can I do if my iPhone is totally frozen?

Chris T March 30, 2013

My iPhone is totally frozen. It doesn’t respond to any button pushing. I attempted to power it off, but that didn’t work either. I can’t even shut it off. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!

1. Katherine A

Press the home and on/off button at the same time for 10 to 30 seconds till u see it turn off

2. Alyshia G

Depending on what the screen looks like here's what you can do:
    If it's frozen on the start-up screen of the apple, a white screen, or black screen.. It's bricked up or crashed.
    That occurs when you jailbreak or mess with it hardcore. That's a no no.
    I suggest going to Youtube and looking up videos to see what you can do,
    Other than that, sorry about your luck

3. Jirka Sluka

Try to buy the new battery...

4. Chadi El Haj

Do a hard restart.

1. Hold the power and home button at the same time for about 6 seconds.

Does this work?

Worked for me Thanx :)

• Katherine A

Worked for me so happy!!!

• Leticia

where is the hold the power and home button are

• parth bhingarde

Thanks man :D worked x))

5. Haley M

there is a few things you could do you probaly already tried the home and power button hold the buttons for about 15 seconds or you could wait till the battery dies then try rebooting it or this is not recomended or covered by warranty if you undo the two little screws on the bottom of the phone then you can slide the back off then you can unclip the battery and clip it back in i reccomend looking at a proper iphone tear guide from ifixit or power book medic if doing last suggestion good luck

• justine case

thanks i have my iphone working again

6. Jan Fritsch

By frozen you mean you see the home screen or an App and it isn't responding to anything, right? Usually holding the power/sleep button and Home button simultaneously for 10 seconds should force a reboot of your iPhone.

• Tamara

Thank you Jan your ideal worked. I so didn't want lose all my data place pictures.

7. prashanth singh rathore

try putting it into recovery mode by holding down home button and then power button until you get a connect to itunes screen.

8. Kristjan Tiirik

Hi!
    Have you considered resetting your iPhone? I think it could help. You can read more about here: http://droidologist.com/how-to-reset-an-iphone/

9. CJ Kilbride

Try holding down the power button and volume buttons simultaneously until it resets.

wait for the battery to die down then recharge it.

if you have backup itunes perhaps you can restore
    1)plug in your iPhone and turn it off. Hold down the “Home” and “Sleep/Wake” buttons for about 15 seconds.
    2)You will see for short time the silver Apple logo and then your phone will appear to turn back off.
    3)Release the “Sleep/Wake” button and continue to hold the “Home” button until you see a message in iTunes stating detected an iPhone in recovery mode.
    4)Choose “Restore”

• Sarah

Thank you so much this was very helpful!

12. Manide

Ask somebody to call you. Does your iPhone act in some way then...?

13. Flip Wilson

Since you can't remove the battery in an iphone, either let it die or it's time to give AppleCare a call - (800) 694-7466.

Remove the battery and wait a minute then put it back and turn your phone on.

• Tina Sieber

The irony here is that Apple products (at least iPods, iPhones, and iPads) don't come with a removable battery. Tragedy...

15. Michael Heffner

Plug it in and see if iTunes recognizes it. If not let the battery die and turn it back on, That should reset it.