What can I do if my external hard drive does not show in My Computer?
Question by Lovro Posari? /

I’ve got a problem with my external HDD, a WD 320 GB. It was working fine until today when I tried to connect it to my computer. It didn’t show its icon in My Computer. In Safely Remove Hardware it says that WD External HDD is connected. Tried to troubleshoot it, but doesn’t work. HELP!

• Anjani

My 5oogb wd external hard disk not show any folder.i m trying different method.bt nt getting my real folder.bt it showing full drive.bt i m nt get any folder or file.pls help me.i m using toshiba laptop.os win7

• Oron

Lovro, is this a 2.5″ disc or a 3.5″ one? The smaller type is powered purely by USB, and sometimes your computer’s USB port simply doesn’t produce enough “juice” to power the hard disc. You can sometimes solve this by plugging it into a different socket, or connecting it with a “Y cable” to two sockets (some hard discs have also got a connection for a separate power supply).
    If your disc is of the larger type, then this is clearly not the problem.
    Let us know if you’ve made progress on this. If not, give us more information (what kind of disc, what operating system, does the hard disc light flash at all, do you get errors on the PC etc) and we’ll do our best to help.

• HUSSAIN

I have WD 320 GB External hard drive it was working fine , suddenly i dont know what happen while am plugging in my hard drive its showing in device manager & devices & printers , i have OS window 7 in my personal PC & its not showing in my computer & even its not showing on disk management , i have around 250 GB data inside please help me out by this major task my whole data is very precious please send me some effective tips that i can rectifier this problem ,

Thankyou

• Don Williams

Its so easy I had this problem when purchasing an ex HDD from a car boot sale, took days to work it out but it was a simple free programme unrelated to the ex HDD which gave me the solution in mins

• Nikhil

i have the same problem friend,and the above solution is not working,so please help me out,as my data is very valuable.