What are your favorite uses of Virtual Machines?

Joseph Videtto December 17, 2012

I’m just discovering the power of Virtual Machines. My understanding is that they’re most often used on Servers to allow one powerful computer to host many different web server applications, which may require different operating systems. Also – software developers can use them for testing.

What are the other most useful ways in which VMs can be used – and do you have any novel uses that you’d care to share?

1. A3MIRAL

I use it for many things:
    • Messing around with different operating softwares before making a commitment (whether that be dual boot or w/e) or even just to have it
    • To have backtrack available quickly ;)
    • To test viruses in a isolated environment

I use VMware mostly. VMware has a lot of nice features and is pretty amazing. VBox is an alternative that is fast and has less of those fancy features but does the job it is intended for just as good, plus it's FREE!

Primarily for testing dynamic web pages under development, with a variety of browser versions & operating systems. There is a big difference between how something is supposed to render, and how it actually looks.

3. Wong Wee

Using VMs as a sandbox

To try out ideas without fear of messing up my host OS

4. Salman Johnson

I never like to use Virtual Machine.

5. Kimberly Noh

I own a bookkeeping practice and I got rid of my it guy, the 3 servers using electricity and spewing heat. I cut my overhead by over 3k per month. I now have a server that is all mine in the sky - I can access it from anywhere at anytime. All I need is internet. and if I have a cell phone nearby then I always have internet. I love the virtual machines - You should be Rocking the Cloud too!

6. Douglas Mutay

For me, using a virtual machine is just like using another computer, I can virtually do anything I do on "material" computer.

Virtual machines can be used to -

learn linux OS.
    test virus effects.
    testing of a software and to run older softwares.
    copy files back and forth between two OS running on same or different platforms.

8. Abba Jee

I use Virtual Machines for running older windows version, newer linux

9. Aditya Roy

DiskRam

10. Fawad Mirzad

I am a network student and usually require testing different servers and server configurations. I need to connect computers. create virtual networks and learn each and every lesson. so i need virtual machine.

11. Sourabh Rawat

It's better to test on VM rather than risking your PC...
    and u don't have to worry about the results of Ur work just test it on VM it's boot functionality faster than your actual PC u can format and re-install Ur OS no. of times without any trouble...
    Like :
    *   if you are editing the files of any dvd of Windows and you want to check whether     it's safe of not just try it out on VM..
    * u can enjoy more than 1 OS like u want to try new OS like Win8 just try it on Vm
    * some software which does not support your OS use It on VM.......

12. Peter Nielsen

I use virtualbox with ubuntu/xubuntu on an Imac, primarily for honing my linux skills, playing around with python and using it to test for unsecure webpages..

13. Pierre-Louis Guidez

I use mine to run OS X. Lots of fun

14. Adinamo Alex

i use only for testing

15. James Maciel

My main use is for testing out new operating systems before spending the time to install the for good. I also use them to run a second operating system for extra functionality.

16. Elrick Browne

testing programs, or running 2 Operating System at once, or running risky programs outside your regular operating system ( like testing an unsafe file in a windows client)

17. Wouter Ruelens

Although I haven't used one for these reasons you can use them for testing linux distros or for accessing websites you don't really trust. I hope you have a lot of fun exploring VM's as they have a myriad of possibilities.

I use it for testing.
    Theres an interesting use:
    You have 1 licenced photoshop, for example. You want to learn , lets say 10 people photoshop and you have 10 networked computers. You use virtual machine to give them all access to photoshop. without installing photoshop on each computer:)
    I hope you understood..