What are the various server OSs and methods of hosting currently used in the market?

J Hamilton July 9, 2013

I’m doing a diploma of IT, and I’m currently doing a requirements report in regards to upgrading a website for online sales and communication. Part of the information I need to know is what server OSs are available and what different methods of hosting there are available.

Wikipedia should give you the best start on the different types of web hosting.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_hosting_service

As for server operating systems it's going to be impossible to name you half of them. Depending on the application and expected load even Windows XP or something like that could be used as a server.

I guess the most common ones are probably the Microsoft Server Family, Gentoo, Debian, Cent OS, Red Hat, SUSE

Sorry if someone feels left out ~ that's just a list that I usually come across.