What are the pros and cons of upgrading from Windows 7 to 8?
Question by christine st.syr griffin /

I might still be eligible for the discounted $15.00 upgrade to Windows 8 which expires tomorrow at midnight, and would like to know what the pros and cons are?

• Prashant Mirjankar

PROS OF WINDOWS 8 OVER WINDOWS 7:

1. Innovative and dynamic desktop start screen
    2. Improved security
    3. Speedy boot up
    4. Improved search function
    5. Task manager
    6. Better RAM management
    7. Windows to go
    8. Faster data-transfer
    9. Skydrive

CONS OF WINDOWS 8

1. Steep learning curve
    2. Lack of familiarity
    3. Lags in some game
    4. No preinstalled games
    5. Missing start menu button

No FUN in using without touchscreen…..

• Junil Maharjan

The pros would be:
    1. Faster OS
    2. Better Security
    3. New GUI

The only con i can think of right now is that you have learn new functions and new way to work on you pc. but it isn’t that bad and learning is not that hard.

• Ryan Sarpedonius

Features of WINDOWS 8 At A Glance First :
    1. Windows 8 touch;
    2. Windows 8 Start screen;
    3. Better multiple monitor support;
    4. Windows 8 charms ;
    5. WIndows 8 Search and Social;
    6. Windows 8 ARM support;
    7. Windows Store;
    8. Windows 8 cloud integration.

Advantages (Pros):

1. Installation time of Windows 8 takes only 10 minutes.
    2. Windows 8 is much faster to boot, shutdown, resume from hibernate and navigate.
    3. The new User Interface ‘Metro’ will help merge the tablet and PC.
    4. Metro theme and layout is unique with a whole lot of cool new features. It allows
    multitasking and shares the screen with two apps at the same time.
    5. Microsoft’s Smart Glass technology
    6. Microsoft Security Essentials integrated with Windows 8.
    7. It retains the Windows 7 desktop (The desktop itself is exactly like Windows 7,
    except that there is no start button; instead you hover your mouse over the bottom
    left corner and a preview of the start screen pops up, click the preview and you are
    taken to the start screen)

Disadvantages (Cons):

1. The most important issue is Privacy. If the users are not alert during installing
    Windows 8, they might end up granting location access to many of the Windows 8
    apps. (To change this – Go to Change PC Settings and from there, move the slider
    to Turn OFF location access completely).
    2. New layout may be a bit difficult for some user to get used to.
    3. Some programs, games and applications are not yet compatible with Windows 8.
    4. Most of the applications, which were designed to work with Windows 7, are not
    working in Windows 8.
    5. System tray is gone and determining where programs have gone when minimized is
    difficult.(Although possible to check it from the top left hand corner)
    6. Very difficult to move between screens.
    7. There is no option to turn tiles into icons.
    8. No side apps can be run when we are using the apps.Apps works only in the full
    monitor by occupying the full face of the monitor.

• Nitesh Badala

upgrading win7 to win8 is good because accepting new technology is always good.
    but both the factor pros and cons consist in upgrading
    1.you feel new experience
    2.graphics may captured your eyes
    3.processing speed high
    4.dual window experience of win7 and win8

1.compatibility issue
    2.may be have problem at initial level

• John Berger

Another con that no one has mentioned, and this is a big one for me, is that if you dare to try to use a local account instead of an e-mail address or Internet account as your login, Windows 8 will actually *PUNISH* you by disabling features.

I prefer each of my PCs to have local accounts, although I will likely create my own domain server to allow for roaming desktops for the family. Still, I am not comfortable using an e-mail address as a login to my personal PC at home. However, with Windows 8 if I don’t do that, I cannot for example communicate with my Xbox 360 on the same network. Windows 8 actually DISABLES my ability to communicate with my Xbox 360 because I didn’t log onto my PC with the e-mail address that is linked to my Live account. They wouldn’t even let me enter my Xbox Live account information — I had to log off and create a new Windows 8 account that can be linked to my Xbox 360.

As an IT contractor with the US govt, I am very security conscious. I prefer separate logins and passwords to various sites and activities and I also use different e-mail accounts for different functions. To me, this kind of forced “my way or highway, single sign-on on your PC” attitude from Microsoft is unacceptable. My PC is not a tablet and not everyone wants it to be treated as a tablet yet Windows 8 tries to force it to be. No, thanks.

(Disclaimer: my experiences were on the Release Candidate version of Windows 8, but from what I’ve heard from several others who have tired Windows 8, this functionality has not changed in the released version.)

• Christine StSyr Griffin

Wow how can that even be legal, thats really really disturbing. I just read somewhere that google is able and does read our emails. And here i thought they were treated with some type of respect like you get at the post office. Well right now as of yesterday my descision was made when my son cracked the led screen by slamming it shut while his ear buds were laying on the keyboard. That upgrade cost is either going to a new screen or new laptop.i do so like your response, so very informative and i like hearing about security issues and such i am grateful for your help. Thanks ever so much, christine

Besides what other have said,some of the

Pros –

Minimalistic look

New task manager offers so much that you can think of ditching any task management software

Reset feature

Cons –

Cannot open multiple metro apps in a single screen

Tiles can be sometimes distracting and need much configuration from the user’s end to suit his needs and workflow

Cannot install modern apps from anywhere other than Microsoft store

Modern apps doesn’t read media files from SD card(needs registry tweaks from user end)

Desktop and Modern apps have different user interface.

• prashanth singh rathore

The only thing that would slow one down would be the metro interface, but it takes one click on the desktop icon to get rid of it. In my experience, most programs launch faster in WIN8, and browsers are noticeably zippier. Once you get past Metro, it is much like 7.

So pros are: fast operating system, responsive program launch, interfacing with other mobile devices, and anybody can use it even, (and especially) a 4 year old. Very secure, almost mitigates the need for antivirus/antispyware.

Cons: Dumbed down OS, not easy for experts to get to the nuts and bolts. Metro. Compatibility will be an issue for the foreseeable future. Growing pains. Different enough from WIN7 that many folks will not like it. The obvious bent toward mobile devices, not optimized for desktop use.

pro is that you can upgrade easily from windows 7 to windows 8 and get the next update easier.

easier to do windows repair by refresh/reset, you have to install additional codec to support mkv files.

• Suvadeep Paul

PROS OF WINDOWS 8 OVER WINDOWS 7:

2. Improved security
    3. Speedy boot up
    4. Improved search function
    5. Task manager
    6. Windows to go
    7. Snap apps
    8. Faster data-transfer
    9. Skydrive

CONS OF WINDOWS 8

1. Steep learning curve
    2. Lack of familiarity
    3. Restriction of Windows media player
    4. New hardware requirement

For more Details visit this page:

http://techwikasta.com/2012/12/pros-and-cons-of-windows-8-to-windows-7/

• Alan Wade

The pro’s are you will get a faster more responsive operating system.
    There is a good review you can read here on the site written by Chris Hoffman:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/which-windows-8-version-is-for-you/
    and here:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/missing-windows-8/

In fact if you search for Windows 8 in the above search box you will find many good articles on the subject.

The cons (and this is from a personal view) is its a whole new system to learn but with the help of free or paid for apps you can get your old Start screen back.

• Christine StSyr Griffin

Thank you to all of you who helped with this descision, bottom line i never really liked computers, and it wasnt until i got my first “smart phone” less than 2 years ago and than my tablet that i really started having alot of fun learning and experimenting, and failing, but loving the challenges, so that said if its more like a tablet interface than i will probably like it, so for $15.00 bucks its worth it and about having to install additional codec? I will bookmark this page for all your stellar help i know i will need it.thanks again to all, christine, oh and i forgot how to mark problem resolved?

James has explained how to mark it as resolved in the below link –

http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/how-do-i-mark-a-question-as-resolved/

You can see the tick mark for choosing the best answer.By ticking,you’ll mark it as resolved.