What are the pros and cons of OneNote vs. Evernote?

Joseph Videtto December 21, 2012

What are the pros and cons of OneNote vs. Evernote ? – in terms of
– features,
– total cost for editing large docs (I believe I noticed EverNote has a subscription fee)
– can a ‘doc’ in OneNote be ported to Evernote, and vice versa ?

Lastly, If you’re a user of one of these apps, what have you loved and/or hated about using it?

1. Christin

OneNote:
    +I love the idea to jot down anything in anywhere on the page. I also love the stack interface, the color divider, and the integration to windows enviironment (esp. Ms Office).
    +It's free if you already have Microsoft Office.
    - Although, the android app has 500 notes limit. You need to upgrade the account to sync more note to your android phone. (dunno with iphone)

Evernote:
    + The things that I love about Evernote is the sync. I can access my notes from any phone on any platform. You can also access your note from destop app or the versatile web browser app.
    + Unlike OneNote, people out there has built LOTS of tools that integrates with Evernote. You can check list of automator scripts on IFTT https://ifttt.com to get started.
    + Yes, Evernot has subscription fees. I dunno how many it cost, because the free acc is enough for me to jot down all my lectures notes.
    - Unfortunately, to make notes availabe for offline use (on mobile phone), you need the premium account.

I don't know if OneNote's files can be imported to Evernote and vise versa. But I usually attach my docs to Evernote (if I'm lazy enough to copy-paste the notes one by one).

To conclude:
    I'd prefer to use OneNote to keep my lectures notes or writing my papers. And then attach (simply copy-paste) important doc files from OneNote to Evernote, so I can access it on all devices (
    I'd prefer Evernote to do the web-clipping (to save my fave quotes/lyric/article, etc) and to jot down any little information (like address, schedule, to-do list).

2. RayR

I prefer OneNote because I can run it on my Windows laptop and Windows tablet, my Windows phone and my wife'siPhone and on my Android tablets as well. It provides all of the portability that I need plus all of the feaures.

3. Steven Lam

I prefer Evernote despite that I'm a Office centric person. I can use Evernote on my PC, Mac, iPad/Phone or Android. I have full version of Office 2010 so Onenote is free for me.. As for paying for a subscription of Evernote, it is only $ 1 per month!! It is less and 1/3 of a cup of coffee at Starbuck!

4. RG

To me the major difference between the two remains that OneNote is mainly/only local but Evernote is syncable. Despite the bloat and size I still prefer OneNote because to me it is easier to just jot down stuff anywhere on a page and be done with it.

• Sam

Sorry that's incorrect. One note syncs happily with sky drive or drop box and I use it across a windows laptop android phone and tablet and via the web!

Evernote vs. OneNote: Note-Taking Apps Showdown
    http://www.techhive.com/article/248992/evernote_vs_onenote_note_taking_apps_showdown.html

OneNote vs. EverNote: A Side-by-Side Comparison
    http://rcpmag.com/articles/2012/03/01/onenote-vs-evernote.aspx

Revisiting the Evernote/Microsoft OneNote Competitive Landscape
    http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1847318

it’s very easy to email notes to your Evernote account, including audio files recorded on your mobile
    http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1847305

6. Nitish

If your are a fan of windows os One Note is the best Solution. Useful and elegant with Simplicity

7. Michael Teague

I really like OneNote but I used Evernote a lot because of the Android app. Since Microsoft put out the OneNote Android app I have stopped using Evernote. I think OneNote is the best app in the Office bundle.

8. lucy

Evernote all the way for the simple reason that it is cross-platform, so you can access and edit your notes on pretty much any device, and for most users the free version is perfectly adequate. It's only if you include lots of image files that you might need a paid account.

Evernote has more capability for non-electronic notes (e.g., pictures of handwritten notes). I much prefer Evernote

10. Robfuscate

I prefer Evernote because the pages act like documents, OneNote pages allow you to type wherever you place your cursor - more like editting a picture. I guess I'm just old fashioned. Also, I can access Evernote on my Android phone, my Linux Laptop and my wife's Mac - all with apps for the various OS's. I can't do that with One Note

That said, I prefer OneNote's organisational structure - as I said, I'm old fashioned.

11. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Sorry, my comment was somehow cut.
    OneNote Pro: Integrated with Ms.Office, use binder notebook analogy (page, divider, etc) if you like to manage your notes like in real life.

12. Lisa Santika Onggrid

OneNote<br.
    Pro: Notebook analogy (page, divider, etc)- suited if you like to manage your notes like in binder, integrated with Ms.Office
    Con: Not free, bound in Windows, not portable
    Evernote
    Pro: There is a free version, you can access your notes practically anywhere
    Con:If you're heavy user, the data cap might be too limiting.
    If you like to commute or work with a lot of people, Evernote will be better since it's cross-platform.
    Yes, you can find onenote2evernote converter and vice versa. Since your mileage may vary, I suggest you to try both by yourself.
    Tip: I throw my notebooks in Dropbox to keep everything in sync, without having to pay for subscriptions.