What are the potential risks involved in process of rooting an Android phone?

DrSunil Vaswani March 20, 2013

Please enumerate what risks are involved and how can they be prevented! Thanks.

1. Rohit Pandey

it is open for all type of malicious program and software . you may not be the safe after rooting your device.....

2. Anay Chaubal

If you know what you are doing, i.e. follow instructions to the letter, then your phone will not get bricked, neither will there be any data loss. Only risk is of lost warranty.

Rooting is actually taking administrator privileges in the OS. So, in case you are a layman user, then dont even think of it. If you know what admin access gives you, and you think that you can work with it, the by all means go ahead.

with a rooted android phone you may end up installing a malicious application without attention, this application can be designed to steal your personal information and/or track you by using the GPS built in to the android phone.
    to prevent this kind of intrusions you must have antivirus/security tools installed on the rooted android phone.

The risks of rooting your Android phone
    http://www.bullguard.com/bullguard-security-center/mobile-security/mobile-threats/android-rooting-risks.aspx

you must be careful since a backdoor could be installed in a custom ROM after rooting the phone, you should get the custom rom from reliable sources.

no more warranty for rooted phones.

4. princedakkar69

My advice is don't do it. I rooted my phone and the first time I downloaded an app (not requiring root) it re-booted and would not boot into the OS. I have a Moto Atrix HD and love the phone, by AT&T. It would boot to the AT&T screen and freeze there. I took it to a cell phone repair place and explained what happen, they worked on it and said it never finished rooting and they tried to root it and could not do it rendering it useless. Could not boot into safe mode nothing!!!!! This was fustrating considering that I work in the IT department for a school and I needed that phone for work. I eventually called AT&T and told them I had a bad device and they sent me a refurbished one. I tell you I learned my lesson about these phones; don't mess with them.

5. Tanmay M

Phone can become bricked or may not work efficiently

You lose manufacturer warranty too (IMPORTANT)

7. Chinmay Sarupria

rooting causes the phone to expose the hidden system files which can be infected or accidentally deleted.

9. Anish P

In addition to what DalSan had said, you may also breach the terms of your phone plan as many service providers frown upon rooting or jailbreaking your phone since it allows the user to take advantage of functionalities they would normally be charged extra for, such as wifi tethering.

• Chris Marcoe

This would be the biggest issue for me. Causing the warranty to be voided...

• DalSan M

Warranty is voided when the phone is rooted...but once you unroot the phone, then everything would be fine. In the case of newer phones like the Samsung Galaxy Note 2, a trip counter has been added to count the times that a device has been flashed with different recoveries. There have been ways to reset this counter so that it looks like the warranty hasn't been voided. Basically, what you can do to a phone (root) can be undone (unroot) to make the warranty issue a non-issue.

10. DalSan M

The first and foremost risk that can happen is what is called "bricking" the phone, in which the phone would not be able to be used at all except for a paperweight. This risk is greatly reduced when a Clockwork Mod or equivalent recovery is installed. http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/ClockworkMod_Recovery This is because if for any reason the phone will not start into the operating system, it allows for an installation/reinstallation of operating system ROM's. It is essentially a fail-safe with extra features such as the equivalent of ghosting/imaging a hard drive so that you can go back to a backup and keep going like you originally left it (at the time of backup). Losing some functionality of the device and/or applications are possible, but rare. Using the Odin method to install/flash a custom recovery to root the device is fairly easy and as long as all of the steps and warnings are heeded, it is quite safe. Even my step-son rooted his Samsung Galaxy Note 2 through the Odin method, and it was his first time doing anything like this to any phone. It is scary at first, but it isn't much different than plugging in a printer to the computer and installing the software and drivers. So long as you are not changing the system files unless necessary, then risk of losing functionality of the phone is greatly reduced.

Installing custom ROM's are different with the issues that come with it, but the custom recovery would help in re/installing other ROM's to fix the issues.