What are the best uses of a ‘retired’ Android or iPhone?
Question by Joseph Videtto /

I know of course, one thing you can do is recycle – especially the non-smart phones.

But if you’ve renewed a calling plan, and selected a new phone (e.g. go from Android to iPhone or vice versa), what are the best uses of the ‘retired’ phone (the one no longer linked to the network). Should it be retired and recycled or sold on eBay, or are there other good uses you can put it to ? Again – same question for the non-smart phones.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Dave Bakker

With a HDMI cable adapter it can be used with your TV to watch Netflix, HUlu, you tube etc, if you dont have apple TV or any other Boxes

• Anish Parameshwaran

For an iPhone, a gaming device, internet browsing device, pretty much a fatter iPod touch, so Facetime, iMessage, Pandora, all your apps except for the phone app will all work as long as you have wifi. If you want a phone, you can download multiple VoIP apps and have another phone!

• Tom Vivet

I use my old phone as a backup.
    If my current phone failes for whatever reason and needs te be sent in repair you still have a familiar device to work with.
    And did some testing with, like rooting and trying new apps.

• Nevzat Akkaya

I’d spare it as a backup phone, for these cases with my primary phone ;
    * if it’s damaged by an accident
    * if it’s stolen
    * if it requires a phone service intervention
    * if a software/ROM problem makes it unusable

• Mikey Ja

I repurposed my old iPhones as entertainment and learning devices for my kids for when we travel. I put kids shows on there as well as lots of educational apps.

I have also used an old iPhone as a universal remote.

You could also try to get the carrier to unlock it, so you can use it when travelling internationally. Just pick up a local sim card and you have much cheaper rates while abroad.

• Adrian Bagnato

If it’s an iPhone then you can sell it for a lot, sold my aunties old (pretty damaged) iPhone 3G for $80 on eBay, and it’s seen better days. Or give them to the kids, or other members of your family who have crappy phones.
    If it’s an Android phone, then you could sell it or give it away, but i’d sell it. Android is very complicated to use (if you’re too young or old) and it’s prone to all sorts of viruses.
    Going back to the iPhone, keep them then keep all future ones you get (if you decide to get another iPhone) and wait about 30 years when they’re worth their weight in gold and make a fortune ;)

if you can program or would like to make simple new games, you can use it as test environment

You can do the following –

If the phone do has good market value(especially iPhone)you can get a good return on it by selling it on ebay.

If it has infrared support,then it can act as an universal remote.

Listen music,radio on it(can act as ipod).

Jailbreak or install custom ROMs.

Wi-Fi calling through Skype,Fring,Viber.

Play games preinstalled in it fully without worrying for battery getting finished and saving it for calls.

As an experimental way to judge whether the younger ones are matured enough to use a phone.

Use it as a voice recorder.

Secondary storage device.

• Paul Pruitt

If you have a Motorola Droid, the Bionic Lapdock are selling for $50-60 these days. I got one for $50 on DailySteals where they are still selling for that price: http://www.dailysteals.com/heist/5695/Motorola-Lapdock-100.

So you can sort of convert the Droid to a laptop.