What are the best sites to get ideas on how to best use tech in schools for Educational Technology teachers?

Joe Videtto May 23, 2012

…and, what are the best training courses for one’s C.V. or resume, if you want to work in Educational Technology and Computer/Device Administration in a school? My school has old Windows XP machines and iPads.

Everything I’ve seen in my school makes it seem to me like one requires a hodge-podge broad knowledge rather than such deep knowledge in one area, but I’d love to hear your opinions.

1. Donna Browne

You should probably check http://www.iste.org. There are also a number of free ebooks available on Amazon specifically dealing with technology in education. I have a few myself but have not yet had time to read them.

Since most schools are using small to medium sized networks (generally less than 300 seats) and a tiny staff (up to 5 full time people, normally less), you need to have a broad knowledge base in order to deal with it. You need to know about network security, firewalls, antivirus, access controls, servers, operating systems, hardware, other software, and much more.

At a minimum, the generic CompTIA certifications would apply (A+, Server+, Network+, Security+, and possibly Linux+). I don't think that actually holding the certification is necessary, but knowing the material definitely is. The facets coverd by these certifications cover the knowledge required for any network administration job.

Having the knowledge that covers the specific operating systems used also needs to be addressed as well as keeping abreast of changes in the future versions of that OS. Just knowing what XP can do for you right now is not enough; you also need to know what the pros and cons of moving forward to more recent versions are, how much effort is required to make such a move, etc. Based on this information you will be able to justify the cost to move to a newer OS or defend your position of why moving to a newer OS is not cost effective.

The last item is being able to keep up on how changes in technology is providing advantages in the classroom. This one is tough as it involves monitoring trends in technology and eduction and in many cases connecting the dots yourself before anyone else does.

• Joe Videtto

wow - never heard of iste.org - I think it's just what I'm looking for, I just joined. I take it you must be involved in the educational technology area, Bruce ?

Actually, I'm not. I am very interested in what is happening there though because of the lack of technology and the vision of how it can benefit the students in the classroom when I went to school.

While I was in high school (early to mid 80s), we had a small classroom where we could elect to take up to 2 semesters of classes learning how to use spreadsheets and word processors then later moving to simple programming using the Apple IIe. I strung things out by taking an independent study for another 2 semesters to get into assembly language programming on my own since our teachers were learning this stuff at the same time we were.

I previously talked to a few educators about some of the possibilities of technology in the classroom, but it seems that the biggest hurdle to overcome is the reluctance to change anything at all coming from the school board and administrators. They seem to have the opinion that how thing have been done for the last century are the only way to do them. So I just keep peeking at what is going on every few months to see if anyone dares to take the plunge, how they implement the changes and how it affects the learning processes of the students and their perception of education in general.

• Sachin Kanchan

i know this is not an answer ...
          but just so you know, you are geek level god...