What are the best online resources for objective and reliable statistics on weapons usage?

Joseph Videtto December 21, 2012

In the context of the 2nd amendment gun/high power assault weapons debate, what website would have the most objective reliable statistics?

I enjoy having meaningful discussions with friends about meaningful issues, and often I don’t have the data I need to present what I consider are very relevant discussion points. In particular, I’m wondering what would be the most relevant and objective sites to get statistics regarding, year by year:

1.) the number of people that used guns to protect themselves from being victims of crime
2.) the number of innocent people that were killed by guns, broken down by – accidents in houses, wrong place/wrong time at the scene of a crime, etc.
3.) similar statistics in other countries that enforce gun control, and some metrics regarding the effectiveness of that gun control

I’ve noticed that discussions about this topic are rarely made in terms of reputable statistics. Where can I get that data, and what’s your take on the issue?

1. Michael Teague

I think you are out of luck on some of this. Especially how many times guns are used to protect people. Unless the gun is actually fired it is unlikely that there will be a record in the FBI database.

2. Amit Sinha

It would be better to hire freelancers of respective countries of which you need the stats, alternatively:

Contact news group or ask police station might they would give you stats of local city.