What are the best free web development tools?

Michael Jan Moratalla February 5, 2013

Can you tell me which are the best free tools to be used to develop a website. In my search I have found CoffeeCup and Notepad++. Can you give me some others that are used frequently?

1. Chinmay Sarupria

Sublime Text 2 - The best editor for Windows.

2. Javaid Hussan

Dream viewer from Adobe is the top notch tool, in case of open source Aptana studio is best. I advise you to start from http://www.w3school.com to start learning it will low your dependency on tool and you has a better understanding of web and development.

3. Roshin idi
  4. Paul Pruitt

Yes I think ExpressionWeb 4 is quite good: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36179. I use it all the time.

Despite what Microsoft says it works a lot like Front Page. It has a Wysiwg interface if you want to use it. I had a designer who wordked with Xara Web Designer and those file don't display right, but other conventional pages work fine.

5. Serge Garcia

Are you looking for a coding tool? If so, Im afraid CoffeeCup and Notepad++, Along with ExpressionWeb are the best and only on the market that offer decent features for no cost. If you want anything more, Im afraid you have to pay for the leading software, Adobe Dreamweaver.

If you dont mind a suggestion, why dont you try an online web development tool? They are easier, more flexible, and easy to access. Here are 2 to get you started:

1. WEBS.COM
    They claim to be the world's largets do it yourself website creation solution with a record of 50 MILLION websites built with it. It is so simple that in fact, they have said "If you can use Microsoft Word, you can use Webs" enabling you to create Highly professional Websites in a matter of minutes. You can chose a template, or use the friendly website builder to get you started

2. WEEBLY
    One of the big guns in website design and hosting, Weebly offer, along with a simple user interface, some of the most advanced tools, applications and features on the market. With 8 million individuals and businesses using their service, they claim to power roughly 2% of all existing websites which is, in itself, impressive. In fact, it is safe to say that their website builder is probably the best on the market, with a user friendly drag and drop interface yet full HTML and CSS control.

if u use MAc then coda is the best if u are using windows then notepad is Enough.....!!

7. Tai Gee

I guess a notepad is more than enough if you have a decent Java and HTML knowledge.

For authoring the site, you could try Kompozer. For debugging etc, use the tools in Firefox.

9. Erlis Dhima

Check out for books to learn HTML, CSS, Java etc.. And all you need is a text editor, and you can build an website.
    There are other tools, like firefox addons which might help you, like: web development, firebug.

11. Aska Nag

Perhaps here you will be able to choose the most appropriate for you.
    Best regards!