What are the advantages of Windows 8 vs. Windows 7?

Stanimir Mihov January 23, 2013

What are the advantages of Windows 8 if upon install you:
Revert its look back to Windows 7
Disable most of the new features (live tiles, metro UI)

Why not go for Windows 7 SP1 instead ?
Im struggling with this question since I have read this post

1. freddy

Microsoft will do what they always do with new software - use their users as guinea pigs for the first 6 months, put them through the pain barrier and then release a service pack to clean up all the crap.

Win 8 may be faster to boot from scratch but there's little difference from sleep. It is also slower in some of the key real world areas like 3D and some games.

In addition, the new interface looks like it's been designed by and for pre-school kids. If you want an OS for grown ups, stick with Windows 7

2. nani

recently i have seen an article which is really helpful in knowing the pros and cons of windows 8 to windows 7..link.:http://techwikasta.com/2012/12/pros-and-cons-of-windows-8-to-windows-7/...check out this once to get better idea..!

3. Chris Goodwin

If you're using a tablet or a pc with a 'Windows 8 Compatible Touchscreen', windows 8 will allow you to make use of this device in a far more succinct way. This is the main benefit of windows 8. Other than that, you're probably better to stick with windows 7; Windows 8 has not been massively popular, and you don't want to spash the cash on something that might be very quickly be replaced (such as vista)

That's assuming you already have windows 7 of course.

4. Switchblade Rebirth

Windows 8 in my personal experience has a lot of advantages, such as Windows Store, lighter resource usage, faster boot time, can be used on touchscreen PC's and tablets.

5. Rakesh Pal

Windows 8 is a totally new vesion from microsoft. its open early than windows 7 and shutdown early than windows 7.Windows 8 is a totally new version of Windows that, in addition to the traditional desktop, also includes a new-style interface for use with touchscreens – whether that’s on a touchscreen laptop, all-in-one PC or tablet.

6. Benjamin Tiessen

7. Newell Fisk

Windows 7 is much better.. don't go to windows 8.. it's horrible

8. Vhora Rizwan

9. Nevzat Akkaya

Windows 8's advantages :
    Better hardware usage and handling, faster startup-shutdown, better file explorer (I like ribbon interface), faster file copy operations, networking enhancements, cheaper (maybe free) upgrades to future Windows versions (Windows 9 is on the horizon according to some rumors), you'll also be on the edge of what MS offers so far. I like having the latest software. :)

10. Adriel Tan

Why choose 8 over 7 SP1?
    The main advantages (if the user interface is exactly like 7) is probably the speed boost, lighter footprint, and security features.

There are some small advantages here and there like the much improved task manager, tighter integration with microsoft services and much more.

Also the price is great! And for me personally, I don't find the metro interface annoying as I spend 99% of the time in the desktop with all my desktop apps and I just go into the start menu and type to launch applications. The live tiles are useful-ish, and the apps from the metro store are (mostly) very nice,

11. prashanth singh rathore

7 - 40-60 secs
    8 - 20-23 secs only.

7 - 20-30 secs
    8 - 6-8 secs(till the power light gets off)

Several bugs have been fixed 4m prev vers. It works fast and in more responsive way and mouse move is pretty fast.

Driver Support:

7 - mostly Graphics/Printer driver
    8 - It may take up ur computer without drivers(very rarely needed). U get the compatible drivers in-built and of suitable performance. It also much quickly installs device drivers when u plug them in for first time.

Easier Tasking:

when u click any specific file like app/media files, it shows the basic function tab in the title car for quicker n easier task.

Faster Booting:

win 8 installing can be done in 12-17 mins, win 7 is 23-30 mins, win xp is 35-40 mins.

and many more other........!!

• saran

ya..this is correct but not all.i access this answer.try to well.

12. pp potana

Metro is one good feature and then copy feature in windows 7 is good

13. cory

Haha i have no idea either, I thought i would try it out. A week later when i tried to access the recycle bin it glitched and no longer worked so now i am back to Win 7 and Ubuntu :p.

14. Sonny Bass

15. Ishan Gunawardana

Not only the less ram usage and processor usage.. There are so many new features..
    Like it has mailbox which you can add several email addresses into one mailbox.. New Skype, maps, business things, also travels guide.. Then there is windows store where you can buy or free download new stuff.. Then an easy way to find and download music and movies..
    And the best thing is once you create a Microsoft account and then if you re-install windows package, you can sync every setting and every software you installed from the store..

I'm using both windows 7 and 8.. O think I didn't go to win 7 after a long time.. Because this new features of it..

16. ajay kumar

I don't see a great deal I am getting with windows8, I would rather want to stick with Windows7. I don't like metro UI.... it's feels good for touch based devices not for your desktop/laptop.....
    if you are still running windowsXP(variants) or vista then this will be great in both aspect low price upgrade and high performance compared to your existing xp or vista..... :-)

17. Sowmya Guru

Windows 8 has a few handy features for folders like creating new folder, edit options, open command prompt directly from a window etc. I downloaded Win8 basically for the UI but to have found that the memory management is way better. And yes, Windows app store needs to more useful apps and freeware. All in all I can say I'm not let down.

18. Mahesh Kumar

Windows 8 is best to be installed if the Screen is Touch Enabled else it is not user friendly . You could still install apps to make if function like the same way in which windows 7 works but it does utilize more RAM and Hard Disk Space so better to stick with windows 7 if the screen is not touch enabled..

• edhcah

LOL, not at all accurate.

From a personal point of view I would say if you dont have or dont plan to have a Touch Screen Monitor then the benefits of Windows 8 is somewhat reduced. It is the way Windows is going and we will all have to get used to it sooner or later but for me it is just like a huge android phone!
    Being a I like to use Windows the way it has always been so from my point of view stick with Se7en until you are forced to change.

More resource efficient (i.e. faster and uses RAM better)
    "Windows store" (easier to use and keep packages up to date)
    Better support for touch screens
    The future (that is, any developments that happen from now on will be on top of Win 8)
    "Windows Store" (controls the software you install, although it can be overridden)
    New user interface which, in the opinion of many including myself is not really suitable for traditional desktop & laptop PCs
    Being new, some older packages don't run on it, or not as well, and those that do feel like a "foreign object" because of the new interface.

you gain in performance index, also has desktop mode and metro mode. Enterprise windows 8 have Windows To Go feature

you can work with windows 7 for the next few years, transition from windows 7 to windows 8 can be through upgrade but i am not sure if you can do the same upgrade for higher windows 8 version.

22. raju chandani

Windows 8 is a latest os from windows

Windows 8 interface is matro ui interface.

23. Safvan Vhora

Windows 8 is a totally new version of Windows that, in addition to the traditional desktop, also includes a new-style interface for use with touchscreens - whether that's on a touchscreen laptop, all-in-one PC or tablet.
    And, while not all PCs will be touchscreen when Windows 8 launches, expect more and more devices to have touchscreens towards the new year - even if it's a traditional laptop.

Windows 7 was a big hit for Microsoft, turning things around from the troublesome Windows Vista and reminding people that the Redmond giant was not quite ready to hang up its hat just yet.
    The Windows 8 release date is here and the challenge for Microsoft is how it builds on the success of Windows 7 and show that Windows can work on iPad-like tablets. But it still needs to dominate on laptops and desktops.
    Windows 8 isn't a phone OS - but does share a great deal of design language and code with its sibling, the new Windows Phone 8.

24. Tech Nech

Well the reviews show that Windows 8 is more efficient than Windows 7 when it come's to memory and CPU usage overall the performance. But as Windows 8 is a newly designed OS with a new environment and interference, you just need to get used to it.

Windows 8 is faster and much secure than windows 7 but you have to learn to use windows 8 whereas windows 7 does not require you to learn the how to use it.

26. Matt Dell

I have been using Windows 8 Pro on a Lenovo laptop for a month - previously running Win 7 on same machine.
    I have an ssd so the machine boots and ran quite fast already but this performance has improved under Windows 8. Programs launch even faster and it is noticeable.

Once you get over the change the Start screen and apps can be quite useful - more so if you have a touch screen but even without. My current favourite is the Xbox Music app which streams a huge range of music totally free (I gather the first 6 months is free or something). It's as good as Pandora or Spotify paid versions but free.

Integration with a Microsoft account (including Skydrive) can also be quite handy especially if you have multiple machines. I recently uninstalled Office 2010 and therefore lost all my preferences and customisations. However on installing Office 2013 all my toolbar items etc were returned from the cloud.

If you are a user of Internet Explorer then the newer version is better etc. I prefer Chrome myself so I can't really compare.

I find many of the dialogue boxes etc more useful. Windows Explorer has more info across the top and the copy dialogue boxes are much better and more informative.

Obviously being the newer release Win 8 will be supported for longer than any earlier OS and in some instances the new bells and whistles are released for only the newest OS. Security releases are usually issued for all OS but eventually the older ones drop off

The major difference I see at the moment would be PRICE. The upgrade to Windows 8 from a qualifying Windows install is $40 (well here in Aust it is $40AU). I believe an upgrade price to Win 7 is in fact more. Pricing reverts on 1st of Feb but for the rest of January installing Windows 8 is much cheaper than Win 7. Caveat - you need ot supply a valid Win XP, Vista or 7 serial to upgrade - but who doesn't have an old XP machine lying around somewhere?

Once you get used to it Windows 8 is at least as good as anything that came before it - and unless you wish to go the free route (linux) then it is the best available AND cheapest

Windows 8 is optimized for touch devices ( you will see larger buttons that works fine with fingers).
    Performance in windows 8 is improved specially the boot takes less time that a windows 7 pc.
    Security is improved (According to Microsoft this is the most secure version of windows ever).
    Windows 8 comes with basic utilities pre installed (mail, skydrive, people)
    And the interface is also good for me(Although lots of people like the old style computer).

It seems that Win 8 has more efficient memory usage and the performance benchmark is also better.

29. Mike Case

The first most noticeable advantage is it's cheaper. You'll also have greater compatibility with new software moving forward (though I doubt that'll be an issue for a while).

The colors are a bit more customizable, it's got better touchscreen support (if that's an issue for you).

It's got the Windows Store.

That's all I can think of off-hand; there isn't anything major, but it's generally cheaper than full versions of Windows 7, and that's enough for me.

30. Rohit Pandey

windows 8 is a upgraded package of windows 7 and iprovides much more features than windows 7.it sucks less ane provide better RAM and Processor use.