What are some good text messaging apps that work from a PC?

Benjamin Tiessen December 31, 2012

Most of the time I am on my computer at home, and it doesn’t really make sense to type with my phones touchscreen instead of a full QWERTY keyboard.

Does anyone know of a good instant messaging app that allows you chat from your computer and mobile?

So far I know of

Facebook Chat

Thats all I got!

1. vipul varkar

Use an enumalator for running whatsapp in windows eg. Bluestacks its free and good ...hope this helps

2. Ahmed Musani

google voice may suit your needs. try it.

3. glen

Mighty Text work great

4. Réy Aétar

Nimbuzz,watsapp,fring,ebuddy,skype (available for all platforms)

5. Jo

If you use Gmail you can send sms to your contacts from your chat feature.

6. Daniel Tanner

I use one called mysms at http://www.mysms.com
    It links phone desktop and web. And if you change phones just re-install the app and all your old texts are back.

7. Timmy Jones

If you have an Android you can use Zipwhip. Not only can you text from the desktop, but you tablet as well. They also have a web version for when you are away from your desktop/laptop.

8. Andy Brown

Mighty Text and Chrome is my app of choice.

9. glennb007

Mighty text for Android and PC Chrome extension. Works very well

10. Andy

Mighty Text for Android

11. Antonio Ruiz Mateos

Try Line. It is a "Whatsapp meets Skype" kind of application, and allows you to chat from Windows and OSX too.

App called Mighty Text

I use Mighty Text at http://mightytext.net.
    Send/Receive SMS from your computer or tablet
    Uses your current Android phone number
    Instant notifications on computer/tablet
    See who's calling you...on your computer screen
    Left your phone in car? Forgot it at home? No worries

14. Brandon Ragoo

If your smartphone is running Android I will recommended you check out the app named AirDroid. Once the application is installed, when execute it you eill be given a url address and pincode just enter the url address and then enter the ping code and you should connect to your phone and be able to send text message and call individuals from on your computer.You should also be able to edit documents from on your phone , view pics etc. I only used it for like 5 minutes as I was busy when I decided to check it out so let me know if it satisfies your needs

15. Matt Brosseau

If you're using an Android phone there's nothing better than MightyText available in the marketplace and as a Google Chrome extension.

Install both and you'll be texting from your PC in absolutely no time.

16. Dana

Right now I am using MightyText.

17. Will

Try mightytext.net Although sometimes it has some error, most of the time it's very useful. It's android only though.

18. Aint My Pants

I like browser texting.

If you're willing to install an emulator, get WhatsApp. It's a free chat client that works via phone number. It's free to download except on iOS ($0.99).
    I have it on my iPhone and on an Android emulator.

As an IM client, I use Windows Live Messenger. You can log in using your email (@hotmail or @live). It's also free.

Would sound funny but why not use Yahoo Messenger, available on Windows, MAC, Android and iOS.

• Benjamin Tiessen

Thats true I never thought of that! Thanks! Yahoo is an option.. hmm

22. Justin Pot

I cannot recommend Google Voice highly enough. Once you set it up you'll wonder how you ever managed to use your phone without it, and with it you can text from your PC anytime – and your messages will still show up on your phone. It takes some getting used to, but it's worth it.

• Benjamin Tiessen

I use google voice all the time, but it doesn't have a very solid client on IOS does it? Not to mention you can't send pictures or anything else! :(

• Errol Casey

I've used talkatone with good results to use google voice for sms and calls. I don't use it as much as I do google voice via the web from my desktop windows pc thought.