What are good registry cleaners other than CCleaner and how can I speed up my PC?

Zaid Mark February 11, 2013

I am tired of CCleaner and top registry cleaning software that claim, but do nothing. Please suggest me some good, safe, and free registry cleaners.

Plus, please suggest me how to speed up my PC. There is nothing wrong with the Hardware. Operating system seems to be installed OK, but crazy lazy speed. Help me guys!

1. Venn

Your pc can be speed up..first you shall clean C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
    and clear the recent items and log files.and now restart ur pc...gud luck.

2. Scott Macmillan

I use Tuneup cleaner and I may be fooling myself but I do find an increase in speed on my system.

3. Diana Hill

One more thing.. one the CC Cleaner.. do you have the free version or the full version? I use it and its pretty great. What specifically about it are you not satisfied with?

4. Diana Hill

Have you dumped your temp files? I suggest you do it.. it helps..next, how much RAM are you running, can you install more RAM if so do it.. I get mine at Crucial, there is a great memory checker there, download and run it and it will tell you if you can then buy it. How many browser toolbar add ons are you running? Uninstall the ones that are not necessary. Lots of time you install a software and they install and add on toolbar that you dont need. Also go to speedtest.net and run a speed test.. it might not be your machine, it might be your modem or WIFi router. Have you upgraded your software for your router? You can check it to see if its out of date too.. if your speedtest is below what you were promised from your ISP then call them complain until you get an answer. I did, they sent me a new WiFi router free and gave me $120 credit. If the new Router doesn't fix the problem and your next speedtest isn't any good.. call them again and say Your not getting the speed promised on your plan and you find this unacceptable and need resolution with them, they will then send a tech to test your lines. If your lines are good and they cannot resolve the issue change your internet service provider. I am having the same problem now with verizon. You can also upgrade your ISP service plan at more cost monthly. Or you can switch companies. There are many. Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner are a few. A friend has time warner and their speed is twice mine. If mine doesn't get resolved on friday I am switching too. Hope these suggestions help you. Each plain at each price promises different speeds.. you can find that information on your ISP website. If your not meeting it take action

5. Tanveer Ahmed
  6. Sudharshan Titan

Actually, CCleaner is the only Program that knows how to handle a registry and clearing your privary...but since you have asked for an alternative.. I would suggest TuneUp Utiities.... its got everything at its best...its worth the money...but if you want something that is free..then go for Glary Utilites or Slimcleaner.... Trust these two are really good :)

7. Jamshid Rasulev

Eusing Free Registry Cleaner not a bad one, but I prefer Wise Registry Cleaner Free

8. connie taggart

I like Privaz er and its free. You can run a one click scan and repair.

9. Zaid Mark

I am thankful to everyone out here for helping me out in this matter. I have tried all the tips being suggested by you and i can see a considerable change in performance of my PC. Here is a useful registry cleaner that i found at least too good to be true:

Give it a try:

http://software.intel.com/swfinder/productpage/tabid/85/language/en-us/p-9744-registry-recycler.aspx

• DalSan Mack

Hello again. I would like to add this advice for you. If you decide to disable the indexing service, it will cause Windows Search to either fail at finding some results or would be very slow to search your drives. Windows indexing will suck way too much of your computer's performance to warrant it to be allowed to run, so using a better and faster search program would be necessary if you need to search for files. One of the best third party search programs is Search Everything found here: http://www.voidtools.com/. Just about every gamer out there will tell you how much gaming performance can be gained by disabling the indexing service as well as how much less the hard drive is accessed or running even without the user doing anything. I would, however, not touch the Superfetch service (depending on which version of Windows you use) because most times it will cause many programs to open slower than usual. Cheers.

10. Mahesh Tiwari

Gizmo's is better for pc registery than any other

It seems that there are lot of misconceptions about how effective cleaning the Windows registry is since most do not seem to understand a few very basic facts about it.

First, the registry is not constantly accessed from the hard drive. When the system boots up, the everything except the user hive is loaded into memory from the hard drive. When a user logs in, the appropriate user hive is loaded into memory. When changes are made to the registry, the system will write them to the registry when there is sufficient idle time. When changes are made to the SAM hive entries, they are written out to the registry immediately When that user logs off, any remaining pending changes are written out to their user hive. When the system is shut down, the remaining changes to the registry are written out to the appropriate hives. Becase of this, there is no real reason to worry about fragmentation or gaps in the registry as they only exist on disk and not in memory where it is most frequently accessed. Therefore, the only benefit of a registry cleaner is in removing unused, obsolete, and incorrect registry entries in order to help eliminate errors during runtime and some extremely rare performance issues such as when Windows must search multiple file paths to locate a file referenced in the registry without a full path specification that no longer exists on the system.

As far as other performance-related issues, other commenters have covered many of the possibilities: too many temp files on the system, unnecessary background processes, too many "helper" programs run on startup, not enough RAM in the system, possibility of OS-specific tweaks to enhance performance, excessive file fragmentation on the hard drive, less-than-optimal swap file settings (if the system is RAM starved), outdated device drivers (especially chipset and video drivers), malware, viruses, and other assorted crapware (including browser toolbars), etc.

12. Kamil Ko

How about Glary Register Cleaner - http://www.glarysoft.com/registry-repair/

13. Yudono R.A.

i couldn't give you a better sugestion, than checking some articles from your trully Makeuseof site
    here's the link
    1) http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/cant-stand-the-slowness-top-10-reasons-for-poor-pc-performance/
    2) (kinda old/2011 but still a nice refference) http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/cant-stand-the-slowness-top-10-reasons-for-poor-pc-performance/

14. Nevzat Akkaya

To me, the best ways to speed-up the system are:
    - use an SSD disk
    - have at least 6 GB of RAM
    - remove unnecessary programs. More programs you install, more cluttered and larger registry and longer startup and shutdowns.
    - disable unnecessary services.

More than 4GB of RAM will only help if one is running a 64-bit Windows operating system. The system won't let you see more than that.

If one has a system that supports more than 8GB of RAM, you can see a performance boost by setting up a RAM disk to take a portion of that memory and use it as a hard disk for frequently used files and temp files without the expense of a solid-state drive. There is a slight performance hit when it initally reloads the RAM disk at startup and again when it saves it at shutdown but between those times, the performance gains can be quite noticable. Before the shutdown, the system should run a script to clear all temp files/directories from the RAM disk so it isn't saving unnecessary data.

• Nevzat Akkaya

You make a good point Bruce. I assumed the PC has x64 CPU and OS is also x64. If the CPU does not support 64 bit, it also means a CPU&motherboard upgrade time has come -in case of a desktop pc- :)

you can use registry cleaners to clean registry system but also consider defrag registry, all of it will not really speed windows to higher speed since this depend on the hardware also like processor. Check also your drivers and update. You can use TuneUp utilities that come with free trial.

check Soluto
    https://www.soluto.com/

16. Jacques Knipe

The best way to speed up a laggy PC will always be a clean format. Formatting removes everything, after which you install the OS that came with the PC/OS you currently have.

17. Réy Aétar

They wont increase any performance as cleaning the registry fragments it that in turn will slow the pc (cleaning invalid entries leavs gaps in the registry which in turn is filled by windows again)
    better only install things which u need and clean the junk files

• Jan Fritsch

Actually, the registry uses a mechanic similar to disk space allocation to minimize fragmentation. Even if you delete 100 entries the individual hive files are unlikely to shrink in size even by a single byte.

Mostly rapid expansion of one of the hives on an already 'crowded' drive results in fragmentation.

In addition the registry is loaded and remains in the paged pool memory during the boot and logon. From there on it is no longer influenced by any fragmentation on the disk itself.

So a highly fragmented registry only results in longer boot and logon times.

18. Sebastian Hadinata

I would recommend you to defrag your hard drive instead, I used auslogic disk defrag (It's free) and IMHO it's the best disk defragmenter out there, give it a try: http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

Anyway if you want to clean your registry, try auslogic registry cleaner too: http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/registry-cleaner/
    or defragment your registry: http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/registry-defrag/

Going by your problem statement, it seems it has something more than a bloated registry to do with it. I can suggest a few steps to try and see if it makes any difference.

1. Uninstall all unnecessary browser toolbars from not well known companies.
    2. Install free Malwarebytes and check and clean malwares.
    3. Install a good antivirus and check and clean any viruses. Free options MS Security essentials, avast, avg, etc.
    4. Install a decent firewall. Can give free Comodo firewall a shot. Also install the integrated defense+.
    5. Defrag your hard disk. Can give Priform Degraggler a shot.
    6. Use the already installed ccleaner to delete all temp files. Do it by keeping all the browsers shut. Then do the registry fix coming in it.

See if you see any performance improvement of your computer.

• Bilal SHeikh

For nice tips.I agree that these are the basic tips for the maintanance of computer system.

21. Jan Fritsch

As it was already mentioned registry cleaners do exactly what the name suggests:
    They clean the registry from unused, unnecessary or invalid entries. I usually tend to say the more they claim to do the more likely they are to damage something!

Personally I would stick with CCleaner (together with CCEnhancer) as it has a large community (providing feedback) and is relatively safe to use.
    http://singularlabs.com/software/ccenhancer/

As for speeding up your PC the question simply is why does it run slow?
    - autostart objects
    - background services
    - applications running in the background

Your best option is to look into the Task Manager at the Process tab and see what is using up your processing power.
    In the performance tab you can see how your memory is holding up and if you are running Vista or newer you can open the Resource Monitor there to get even more details.

If neither the CPU is on high load nor your RAM fully used by applications the source of your poor performance is more likely a driver issue or a aged/damaged hard drive.

Another example is that people often forget to install the Chipset driver which can have a huge impact on performance.

22. Aska Nag

Hi!
    For cleaning the registry there is a good program Vit Registry Fix, there is a FREE version and PRO with more advanced features.
    http://www.vitsoft.org.ua/en/index.html
    Best regards!

23. DalSan Mack

As others have said, registry cleaners do little anymore to help speed the system, only reduce errors. CCleaner is one of the easiest and safest registry and junk file cleaner out there, so I wouldn't down their product. You are looking at the hype and myth that miracles will happen when you clean miniscule parts of the system files on the hard drive. That will just not happen (unless you are running and pre-Pentium II processor system, but even then only a reduction of errors would happen, not so much performance gain). You could use a miriad of other registry cleaners, but all you would find is "junk" because they will not do what you are asking them to do. If you want software to help with performance, go to http://www.tweaking.com and look for the Simple Performance Boost (which I recommend to you) for novice users, or Advanced System Tweaker for finer tuning and extra functions. You can also use IOBit Game Booster to reduce system services from running that you do not need running (if you do not know what the service is for, Google the name of the service, such as "Spooler"). If you want to get more in depth in changing the settings for the services, go to http://www.blackviper.com and click on the service configurations for your version of Widows. Use MyDefrag like suggested, but only as needed (if you download and install software then delete files and uninstall programs constantly once a month may be fine, but general use should not be defragged more than twice a year as it is not that necessary when file downloading and deletion as well as installing and uninstalling software is not performed that often), using a registry defrag/compression software such as Auslogics that was suggested, and uninstalling software that is not used or necessary will help with performance. You can even use Cleanmem to automatically reduce RAM usage when the programs that open do not give back the memory they do not need. http://www.majorgeeks.com/CleanMem_d5993.html Other than using these programs and others like it, there can not be much else done to improve performance from software other than overclocking the processor, RAM, and graphics accelerator card, and making sure that all the drivers are up to date as well as Windows itself and software programs that you use. You could use Readyboost, which uses a flash drive or sd card to cache program data for quicker program loading times. Performance gains are not as noticeable after having 2GB of RAM installed, but there still is some performance gains.

24. Swaggrous Emeks

IOBit Advanced System Care 6 Pro has a good registry cleaner and other nice tools that can enhance the performance of your PC

Try IOBit Advanced System Care 6 Free. Sounds like you should also scan for malware. Iobit includes malware scanner but I prefer Malwarebytes.

• Jake Thompson

Definitely recommend ASC6. I use the Pro version daily and it's definitely worth buying the license. Just a few clicks whenever my system is running slow and usually about 15 minutes later, my system is cleaned up and optimized. The guys at IOBit really know their system maintenance :)

No registry cleaner will speed up your system noticably, that is just a myth, a myth that to many people believe. In fact, registry cleaners in the wrong hands can do more harm than good.

Download and run SuperAntispyware then MalwareBytes.
    After that run CCleaner NOT the registry cleaner just the junk finder.
    Then if you do NOT have a SSD download one of the many free Defragmenters (Defraggler is good) and defrag your hard drive.

There is NO registry cleaner that will speed up your system! That is just a myth that unfortunately many people believe.
    Many registry cleaners can do more harm than good in the wrong hands.

To speed up your system first scan for malware with SuperAntiSpyware then again with MalwareBytes.
    Then run CCleaner to remove the junk.
    If you do NOT have a SSD drive then defrag it, otherwise dont.

After that download one run one of the many optimisers available.

You dont say which version of Windows you are running, let us know and we can maybe offer a few tweaks to help.

Well, there's Wise Registry Cleaner which is an excellent product (and it's sibling product - Wise Disk Cleaner), but to be honest, CCleaner is an excellent product, and this is probably more a matter of managing your expectations that getting a better product.
    A registry cleaner will rarely make a big difference to system speed on its own (and there are those who argue it should never be used). Some things that /may/ make a difference are:
    - Removing excessive files. If file count is excessively high (typically caused by temporary files) or if the hard disk is more than about 80% full, the system WILL slow down significantly. CCleaner/Wise Disk Cleaner can help with removing the temp files.
    - Defragmenting the hard disk, especially if it is heavily fragmented. At the same time, optimising the disk can sometiimes make a big difference (I like to use My Defrag for this purpose, others prefer other products, but note that not all defraggers also optimise).
    - Defragging the registry (try Auslogics Registry Defrag). Again, /sometimes/ this can make a big difference.
    - Finally, update device drivers, and check the device manager to make sure all devices are working properly. If a component is faulty, even if it's not used (e.g. an unused USB port), it can bring your system down to a crawl.