Why are websites opening automatically on my browser without my say-so?

Ramandeep S December 22, 2013

This happened with me 4-5 times. I open some website or want to do something else, but another website gets opened automatically. Yesterday, I tried to close my Firefox browser but instead of closing, it opened a website I visited few minutes before. Also, once I clicked a link on torproject.org which I clearly know where it will take me but a different website opened. Another example is I clicked my bookmark of Tor Stack Exchange website but it took me to indianexpress.com. I can confirm no malicious or new websites are opening. Just those which I previously browsed.

What could this be? A virus or malware? I already quick scanned my computer with Avast and MalwareBytes but found nothing except PUP.BundleInsaller.RKN and PUP.Optional.OpenCandy by M.Bytes but they seems legit as they were in MP3ConverterSetup.exe (from Softpedia, no virus, no spyware…) and in GOM Player respectively.

1. Alan W

I would remove these without a doubt: PUP.BundleInsaller.RKN and PUP.Optional.OpenCandy
    and dont assume that if they come from Softpedia that they are legit. They are bundled apps - basically a program bundled in with another. PUP means Potentionally Unwanted Program.

2. Dave R

Have you tried another browser to make sure that it is not firefox being rerouted. If the other browser say IE has no problems the un-install firefox run CCleaner then re-install firefox and make sure to add a popup blocker, ie Adblock plus/edge & Web mail adblocker via Add-on-manager. If IE is the same then you have bigger problems.

The main two causes I can think of are malware and a dodgy keyboard. You could try scanning your computer with another anti-malware solution (although normally Avast +MalwareBytes is more than good enough), and you could try another keyboard.

If neither of these fixes the problem, it's possible that it would be caused by a corrupt browser (or extension) or even by a fault in Windows, those these seem less likely. You could try backing up your browser settings, removing it completely and then reinstalling. Also, test different browsers to see if the problem recurs. If it does, the problem is not with the browser!

• Ramandeep S

As you are saying to try another browser. It isn't happening occasionally but very rare. I may have to browse for days to see if anything happens in other browsers and I will never like it. As said by you and also reading Dave's comment it seems that this is not a big issue but it just sometimes makes me scary.