Why is my website not up on the world wide web?

Karkala Nayak January 24, 2012

I am hosting my website with WAMP server on my home computer. I have registered with co.cc and got myself a sub domain.

Now after putting up the server online and telling my friends to check the website from their computers they are not able to find it. I have done everything including port forwarding on my modem. I can access the website from my laptop from where the WAMP server is on, but my friends are not able to find the site and says “website cannot be found”. Please help me!!

1. Karkala Nayak

The problem was with the DNS updating software Thank you all for the helpp!!!

If you got an dynamic IP (your public IP is changing every now and then) you will need to use a dynamic DNS provider as the "middle man". Normal domain registrar won't handle "fast" updates.

In that case you should sign-up for e.g. no-ip.com with the name "nayk5.no-ip-com" and use their client to update the public IP.

You can then create a (CNAME) entry for your payed domain "nayk5.co.cc" and point it to your host at the dynamic dns provider "nayk5.no-ip.com"

192.168.1.2 is a private IP address, allocated by your router. You need to set up a non-private IP address on your server configure your router to forward packets to it. Google  "port forwarding" to find out how to do this.

• Chris Hoffman

Correct. In addition to port forwarding, you need to make sure your website address is your public IP address. Addresses that start with "192.168" are private IP addresses.

You can find your public IP address by searching "what is my ip address" on Google, or by looking at your router's status page.

My first guess would be an DNS issue - as Bruce already said. 

Make sure you have an (A) record pointing to your public IP Address.Also make sure that your friends are using the proper DNS name. If you only set an (A) record "www" they will have to use "www.yourdomain.co.cc".If your registry allows a wildcard (*) record I would point that to the webserver too.

What is the URL and the IP address?  Is DNS resolution working.  In some cases, I have seen it take about 72 hours for DNS info to propagate thru the system.  Can they access the server directly via the IP address?